Busy start worries Challengers
The Bangalore Royal Challengers are getting ready for the second match of the opening day against Rajasthan Royals in Cape Town on April 18. The busy schedule after that has become a cause for concern. HT Correspondents report.cricket Updated: Apr 10, 2009 16:13 IST
The Bangalore Royal Challengers are settling down in Johannesburg and getting ready for the second match of the opening day against Rajasthan Royals in Cape Town on April 18. The busy schedule after that has become a cause for concern.
“The boys are getting ready for the big game on April 18. But the first five games are back-to-back. It is going to be tough,” said team CEO Brijesh Patel, who returned to Bangalore from South Africa on Thursday.
Trouble brewing in Cape Town
New Delhi: The IPL appears to have hit its first roadblock in South Africa. The IPL’s demand for access to suites at Newlands has apparently not gone down well with the club members and suite-holders.
According to the ‘Cape Argus’, the Newlands management has asked the suite-holders and club members to forego their rights during the tournament.
However, a statement from Andre Odendaal, chief executive of the Western Province Cricket Association, said the suite-holders would make the sacrifice in exchange for free tickets.
“Allocation of an equivalent number of seats on a block basis in the grandstand for each match at no cost at all”, and “access to a hospitality tent close to the ground at which food and beverages will be provided at no cost to the suite-holder”, were what they were offered, he said.
Wires reach deal to cover tournament
Reuters adds from London: The event will be covered by news agencies after the two sides resolved issues that had caused many news media to suspend IPL coverage last year. The IPL and the News Media Coalition said on Thursday they had agreed terms of coverage for the forthcoming season, and the IPL said it would extend a deadline for media to apply to cover the event by 24 hours.
First Published: Apr 10, 2009 01:11 IST