India vs Australia: ‘If his rhythm is right, he will not be easy to play’, Sunil Gavaskar identifies big Indian threat for Aussies
Mohammed Shami has emerged as one of India’s finest pace bowlers over the years. During India’s previous tour of Australia, Shami had wreaked havoc by picking up 16 wickets in four Tests matches. He played a major role in India’s historic 2-1 victory in the longest format.
Shami is once again a part of the Indian contingent touring Australia for a 3-match ODI series, as many T20Is and a 4-match Test series. Former Indian captain and batting legend Sunil Gavaskar has showered praises on the Indian speedster and warned the Aussies to beware of him.
“Mohammed Shami in particular has a fabulous bouncer. If he gets it right on target, then you can be pretty certain that not too many batsmen will be able to negotiate him,” Gavaskar told Sportstar.
“He is not very tall and his short ball will come skidding at you around your shoulder and head, and that’s the most difficult delivery to play. If his rhythm is right, he will not be an easy bowler to play,” Gavaskar added.
Gavaskar’s remarks came in response to the statement of former Australian captain Steve Smith. The latter reckoned that it would be difficult for Team India bowlers to constantly bowl the short balls.
Smith, in his statement, recalled facing New Zealand’s Neil Wagner. Earlier this year, the Kiwi speedster troubled the Aussie with his short balls, getting Smith out four times.
“He [Wagner]’s got an amazing skill set where his speeds go up and down…everything is between your ribs and your head. If teams are trying to get me out like that it’s probably a big benefit for the team because it takes a lot out of people’s bodies if you continually bowl short. I’ve faced a lot of short bowling in my life and I haven’t had too many stresses with it. I suppose we’ll just wait and see,” Smith had said.
India will play 4 Tests, 3 ODIs and 3 T20Is against Australia. The first ODI will take place on Friday in Sydney.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sundar and Thakur’s knocks were lauded by the entire cricketing fraternity with former Australia all-rounder Tom Moody highly impressed with their rearguard.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.
- India vs Australia, 4th Test: Sundar made his debut in Brisbane and made an instant impact. Sundar picked up three wickets in the first innings with Steve Smith being his first wicket.
- Virat Kohli, R Ashwin, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Hanuma Vihari, KL Rahul, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar have all missed part of the Test series or the whole contest itself.
- India are already without two of their premier bowlers in Ashwin and Jasprit Bumrah in the Gabba Test, who have missed it due to back spasm and abdominal strain respectively.