IPL 2020: Wide or not wide? MS Dhoni’s look of anger forces umpire Paul Reiffel to change his decision, David Warner fumes
The IPL 2020 match between Chennai Super Kings and Sunrisers Hyderabad generated controversy with MS Dhoni and on-field umpire Paul Reiffel at the centre of it. In the 19th over of SRH’s chase, Dhoni protested a wide ball call, which eventually stopped umpire Reiffel from making the decision.
Also Read | IPL 2020 Full Coverage
Here’s how it panned out. Even though Sunrisers Hyderabad were six wickets down, Rashid Khan was in the mood of hitting big shots and was taking Sunrisers closer to the target. Shardul Thakur was bowling the penultimate over with SRH needing 27 off the final two. The first ball of the over was taken for 2 runs, and the next one was a wide.
Also Read | CSK arrest slide with smooth win over Sunrisers
The following delivery – second ball of the 19th, was again going outside line outside off, and even though Rashid had stepped out of his crease a bit, it looked like as if the decision was going against Thakur.
Also Watch | IPL 2020: Chennai Super Kings beat Sunrisers Hyderabad by 20 runs
However, just when umpire Reiffel was began stretching his arms out to signal a wide, CSK captain Dhoni looked miffed with the decision and appeared angry. Dhoni looked pretty angry at Reiffel and began protesting even before the call was made. Eventually, Reiffel went against what he felt initially and decided to not give it a wide. Reiffel put his arms down looking at Dhoni’s reaction, and then decided that it was a fair delivery.
“It looks like he’s checking upstairs, but I don’t know what he’s checking,” said Slater. “It looked like his hands were coming out. That’s interesting … I don’t know.”
“[They’re checking] if it might have touched the bat, but if it touched the bat, it would have been a catch. It went straight to Dhoni,” said Gavaskar.
“I’m almost dead certain that I saw his (Reiffel) arms start to go out,” said Pietersen. “And there was a lot of shouting and screaming at him, and he sort of stopped his decision.”
The decision did not go down well with SRH, who looked displeased at the call. Their captain David Warner was fuming in the dugout at the ball not being called a wide. In the end, Sunrisers Hyderabad fell short of the target by 20 runs and Chennai Super Kings picked up their third win of the season.
It is to be noted that this is not the first time that Dhoni has shown his displeasure at an umpire’s call. In a match against Rajasthan Royals last year, Dhoni lost his cool at umpire Ulhas Gandhe, storming on to the pitch and getting into a heated argument with the on-field umpires. During the last over of CSK’s chase, Gandhe had tried to rule a waist-high full toss as no ball by Ben Stokes, but reversed his decision when square-leg umpire Bruce Oxenford did not signal for it.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sundar and Thakur’s knocks were lauded by the entire cricketing fraternity with former Australia all-rounder Tom Moody highly impressed with their rearguard.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- The South Africa squad, which includes 21 players, underwent their first Covid-19 tests soon after landing on Saturday.
- A decision on Ranji Trophy was expected to be taken in the meeting on Sunday but the members could not find a consensus.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur danced down the wicket to Nathan Lyon and dispatched the off-spinner over the ropes.
- India vs Australia: Stronger teams have toured Australia, few as brave as this bunch.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.