Kallis, Boucher axed from SA squad
The selectors have left out the duo from the South African squad for the upcoming three one-dayers against Zimbabwe.Updated: Aug 17, 2007 19:17 IST
South Africa have left out all-rounder Jacques Kallis and wicketkeeper-batsman Mark Boucher for the three one-day internationals against Zimbabwe next week.
Their ommission comes after Kallis resigned as vice-captain of the national team protesting his omission from the South African squad to play the inaugural Twenty20 World Cup next month.
Kallis had also said he would re-consider his position as a member of the national team.
Boucher criticised Kallis' exclusion from the Twenty20 team and insinuated that Kallis had been sidelined because some people were against him.
Boucher is to face a disciplinary hearing in Johannesburg later on Friday.
"This is almost the same Proteas Twenty-20 squad that will participate in the three ODIs against Zimbabwe. They will use these matches as preparation for the ICC tournament," he said.
Coach Mickey Arthur said, "Mark (Boucher) and I had a long discussion about a month ago and we both agreed that with the strenuous season ahead we need to ease his workload on the one hand and on the other hand, to give AB de Villiers more game time with the gloves."
Graeme Smith (captain), Gulam Bodi, Loots Bosman, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs, Albie Morkel, Mornh Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Vernon Philander, Shaun Pollock, Dale Steyn, Thandi Tshabalala and Johan van der Wath.
August 22: 1st ODI in Bulawayo; August 25: 2nd ODI and August 26: 3rd ODI in Harare.
First Published: Aug 17, 2007 16:41 IST