Vengsarkar sets Dec 5 deadline | cricket | Hindustan Times
  • Monday, Jul 16, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 16, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Vengsarkar sets Dec 5 deadline

The national selector says he is keen to continue with BCCI if certain conditions are met, reports Amol Karhadkar.

cricket Updated: Dec 04, 2007 03:23 IST
Amol Karhadkar
Amol Karhadkar
Hindustan Times

Chief cricket selector Dilip Vengsarkar, who was reported to have expressed an “intent to resign”, has said that he is "keen to continue if certain conditions are met".

Vengsarkar, who sent an email to the Board of Control for Cricket in India on Sunday night, asking for the Board's seven-point guideline to the selectors to be reconsidered, told HT late on Monday that he is yet to receive an answer. He said he has got updates on the developments on the issue only from the media reports.

"I have set a deadline of December 5 to get a reply as that is the day the selection committee meets," Vengsarkar said. "Depending on whether I get a reply and what that reply is, I will make a decision."

Asked what his current status is, Vengsarkar said: "I don't know." Meanwhile, the standoff between the BCCI and Vengsarkar remained difficult, with both the sides deciding to stick to their stands.

A top BCCI official, requesting anonymity, told HT: "There's no question of us going back on the guidelines issue."

Asked whether they would reply to Vengsarkar’s email, he said: "It is up to (BCCI president Sharad) Pawarsaab to reply as the mail was directed to him."

He said that Chandu Borde, who has been a national selector in the past, is the likeliest man to come in if Vengsarkar resigns.

Talking to HT from Pune, Borde said that he hasn't yet been approached by the BCCI.

Asked whether either Borde or anyone else from West Zone would attend the selection committee meeting scheduled in Bangalore on Wednesday, the official said it was "not necessary to have all five members for selecting a team". "Sometimes four would do, but it all depends on what happens over the next couple of days," he said.

Selectors divided

While Vengsarkar says he is yet to make a decision, the other selectors were under the impression that their chairman had already resigned. Sources said that the selection committee was divided on whether to support Vengsarkar or not. A couple of them believed that he got what he asked for. Two of the four said Vengsarkar could have handled the situation differently, by speaking directly with Pawar.

But the selectors are also uncomfortable with the treatment being meted out to Vengsarkar. But one selector stated that the other selectors could not afford to take on the BCCI.