Delhi Police arrest woman posing as media executive for duping businessmen
The Delhi Police on Thursday said they have arrested a 32-year-old woman from Mumbai, who allegedly used to dupe businessmen of their money by posing as the vice-president of leading media houses and private firms.
Police said the con woman, Payal Samuel, was wanted in three cheating cases — two registered in Bhopal and another in Delhi. They said she was last arrested in 2012 by the Madhya Pradesh police for allegedly duping a businessman in Bhopal by purchasing oil cans from him and issuing a cheque that bounced.
Rajeev Ranjan, additional commissioner of police (crime), said Payal, who hails from Mumbai, was arrested on August 15 following investigation into a cheating complaint filed by Delhi-based travel agency owner, Ravi Patel, who was cheated of Rs 30 lakh. Payal had allegedly tricked him into booking international and domestic air tickets, exchanging of foreign currency, and hotel bookings for her clients on credit.
Patel, in the complaint, told police that the woman claimed to be the vice president of a leading international news channel and purchased several air tickets, foreign exchanges and hotel bookings worth around Rs 30 lakh within a month and half for her clients.
“As an inducement, she offered business worth crores of rupees to Patel. When he demanded his money, she started delaying the payment on frivolous excuses,” said Ram Gopal Naik, DCP (crime).
Suspecting her conduct, DCP Naik said, Patel and his suppliers checked about her on internet and found out that she had been making false claims. They found news articles about her cheating several businessmen in Mumbai and Madhya Pradesh using similar tactics. Patel then approached the crime branch and filed a complaint.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.
- The Panth Ratan Baba Harban Singh Ji Dialysis block in Bala Sahib hospital complex started treating patients from Sunday.
- Whatever, the two ascetics are buried next to each other, separated by a neem tree. For that reason, many consider the landmark as a twin shrine.