Fire erupts at polythene bag plant in Delhi, no casualties reported
The blaze, believed to have been caused by a short circuit, was brought under control before it could spread to other units in the area.Updated: Aug 25, 2018 15:13 IST
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
A major fire broke out at a polythene bag manufacturing unit in Nangloi’s Naresh Park area in the wee hours of Saturday.
Senior fire officials said no casualties were reported in the incident. A short circuit is believed to have sparked off the blaze.
Delhi fire department officials said they received a phone call informing them of the fire around 3.50 am. “As many as 25 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. The blaze had been fuelled by inflammable materials stored in the unit. It took us over two hours to bring the blaze under control,” said chief fire officer Atul Garg.
Garg said it was yet to be established if a short circuit was indeed the cause of the fire, and whether the factory was being run illegally. The authorities also mean to check if the unit had a fire safety system in place.
According to Garg, the primary aim of fire personnel was to ensure that the blaze did not spread to other industrial units in the area. “We did all we could to contain it. Senior officials were also sent to the spot,” he added.
First Published: Aug 25, 2018 15:13 IST