BJP files police complaint against Prashant Bhushan for ‘insulting’ Lord Krishna
A police complaint has been filed against Prashant Bhushan, a senior advocate and the co-founder of the new political party Swaraj Abhiyan, for his alleged ‘inflammatory tweets’ against ‘Lord Krishna.’
Delhi BJP spokesperson Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga filed the complaint at the Tilak Marg police station.
Police, however, are yet to file an FIR.
Bhushan, a prolific tweeter, had taken to the micro blogging site earlier on Sunday to flay the “Anti- Romeo” squad formed in Uttar Pradesh at the behest of newly elected chief minister Yogi Adityanath.
“Romeo loved just one lady, while Krishna was a legendary Eve teaser. Would Adityanath have the guts to call his vigilantes Anti-Krishna squads?” asked Bhushan.
The comment has since been retweeted over 650 times, and garnered over 3,500 replies.
Many Twitter users have retorted claiming that Bhushan’s alleged dig at ‘Lord Krishna’ was an attack on Hinduism and Hindus.
Bhushan has been trolled ever since.
Within hours, Bagga also took to twitter and announced that he would be filing a complaint against Bhushan for “insulting Lord Krishna.”
Bagga in his complaint accused Bhushan of “intentionally and deliberately” posting “derogatory remarks ....for the purpose of insulting and outraging the religious sentiments of Hindu community.”
The Delhi BJP is holding a press conference over Bhushan’s remark.
Bhushan, meanwhile tried to clarify his position, saying he only criticised the UP government’s action and did not intend to hurt anybody’s sentiment.
Bagga was not convinced. “After we filed compliant, he is giving clarification. But we will not withdraw the complaint unless he tenders an apology. Even in the past he made such comments. His latest statement has hurt millions of people living in this country,” he said.
The “Anti-Romeo” squad, which was instituted to check eve-teasing, has been viewed by many as a veiled attempt at “moral policing.” Critics of the drive have cited how couples who were spending time together consensually were also picked up and harassed by members of the squad.
Bagga, who was recently appointed as Delhi BJP’s spokesperson had in October 2011, attacked Bhushan over a statement he had made on Kashmir.
Delhi BJP’s media convener Praveen S Kapoor also took to twitter and tagged BJP President Amit Shah, UP Chief minister Yogi Adutyanath and minister Urja Sharma to take note of Bhushan’s ‘ filthy tweet and order action.’
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A pavement establishment rich in character.
- Additional sessions judge Amitabh Rawat questioned the police’s case as to how the offence of attempt to murder can be made out against accused Imran and Babu, when the victim himself is absent from the police investigation and has never been seen by the police.
- Under section 196 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC), the investigating agency has to take prior sanction from the state government to prosecute any individual for sedition.
- In a statement issued later, the Delhi government said the funds have been allocated for scholarships to SC/ST/OBC communities, Ladli Scheme, aid and equipment for children with special needs and for augmentation of library infrastructure in Delhi government schools.
- The elections are being seen as a test for Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal, as they are a precursor to the 2022 Delhi civic body polls.