HT Image
HT Image

Girl molested on Metro, mob vandalises property

More than 100 people enter Tilak Nagar station, security personnel resort to lathi-charge.
Hindustan Times | By HT Correspondent, New Delhi
UPDATED ON FEB 02, 2012 12:36 AM IST

Tension prevailed outside Tilak Nagar Metro station for over an hour after a clash broke out between two groups when two men allegedly misbehaved with a girl late on Tuesday night.

Two brothers passed lewd comments at her inside the Metro train while she was returning home from Gurudwara Bangla Sahib with her fiance and nephew. More than a 100 local residents, belonging to a particular community, vandalised public property when security personnel at the Metro station stopped them from entering it.

Two cases have been registered at the Raja Garden Metro police station in connection with the incident.

While a case of molestation was registered against the two brothers, identified as Saurav and Gaurav, another for rioting and vandalising public property was registered against unknown persons.

“We have arrested Saurav and his brother Gaurav for molesting the girl. They are residents of Mahavir Nagar in Delhi and deal in the sale and purchase of mobile phones. Arrest in the second case will be made soon,” said BS Gurjar, additional DCP (railways).

According to a police officer, the victim along with her fiance Ravinder Singh and nephew boarded the Metro train at Rajiv Chowk station to return home to Sant Nagar in Tilak Nagar.

“On the way, the brothers boarded the train at Karol Bagh station and started misbehaving with the girl. Singh objected after which an argument broke out between them and the accused threatened to kidnap the girl and even tried to physically assault him,” said the officer.

When the victims, the officer said, de-boarded at Tilak Nagar Metro station, the accused along with their associates, who they had called by then, attacked them. In the melee, they thrashed Singh and defiled his turban.

“In the meantime, more than 100 people gathered outside the Metro station and tried to enter inside. Our staff tried to stop them but many managed to barge inside. A constable opened a fire extinguisher to disperse the crowd. The mob ran out but started vandalising the glass panes and other property. They dispersed only after security resorted to mild lathi charge,” said the CISF officer.

Story Saved