Grilled CWG official: I’m helping CBI
The CBI on Thursday grilled Sanjay Mahendroo, a former official of the Commonwealth Games' (CWG) Organising Committee, in connection with its probe into alleged irregularities in the Queen's Baton Relay event.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had, in its First information Report, lodged in November last year, named OC's former deputy director general Mahendroo as one of the accused in the case.
The CBI had arrested him but he was granted bail by a court.
“I have come to the CBI on the directions of the court. I am answering every question being posed to me,” Mahendroo told HT.
Asked if he wanted to turn an approver in the case, he said, “I will give the same answers to the CBI, as I am doing now, to cooperate in its probe.”
Mahendroo added, “I was only the delivery point-man in the OC. My job was to execute the deliveries and document them.”
He said, “I had quit in May last, I was the junior-most in OC.” A Delhi court had, on January 25, directed Mahendroo to appear before the CBI on January 27 in connection with its probe.
The court had disposed of an application by Mahendroo, who had expressed his willingness to surrender in the case.
The court had also directed the probe agency not to stretch his questioning beyond seven hours and also asked it to allow the presence of his lawyer during such sessions.
The CBI had submitted before the court that it did not require the custody of Mahendroo, adding that he could cooperate with the agency under Section 160 of the Criminal Procedure Code.