HT Image
HT Image

Kidney scam: Cop who extorted money surrenders

One of the main accused in the multi-crore kidney racket case unearthed earlier this year surrendered before a city court last week, reports Vijaita Singh.
Hindustan Times | By Vijaita Singh
UPDATED ON JUN 13, 2008 01:27 AM IST

One of the main accused in the multi-crore kidney racket case unearthed earlier this year surrendered before a city court last week. The accused policeman had hatched a conspiracy along with his six other counterparts to extort money from Dr Amit Kumar, the alleged kingpin, and his accomplice Dr Upendra Kumar.

Police said Head Constable Devendra Mallik posted with the Special Staff of central district had posed as a Crime Branch officer and extorted Rs 19.85 lakh from Dr Upendra, a key aide of Dr Amit Kumar, on January 7.

A joint team of UP and Gurgaon Police had unearthed the racket few days after that. Police said the accused is "trying to shift blame" to his seniors and has refused to undergo a test identification parade (TIP) by Dr Upendra and Dr Amit Kumar. He was hiding at his native place in Muzaffarnagar all this while. The seven policemen had even destroyed their mobile phones after accepting the extortion money to wipe out evidence.

Mallik clandestinely took out Rs 3.5 lakh from the Rs 19.85 lakh that Upendra handed over to them after they intercepted his car in DLF Gurgaon, beat him up and threatened to expose the shady dealings if he did not cough up the money. He told Upendra the remaining share of Rs 16 lakh was to be divided among the other six policemen.

"Mallik has proved to a be a hard nut to crack. He is trying to mislead the investigations. He told us that he received only one lakh rupees and returned Rs 80,000 to one of his seniors," said the officer. The accused surrendered before a city court on June 4 and was taken into police custody by the Crime Branch.

"The accused is trying to shift the blame to his seniors. He says that he was not the only one who had received the extortion sum. Though he had demanded Rs 5 crore from Dr Upendra, only Rs 19.85 lakh could be managed," said the officer.

The Crime Branch had interrogated Dr Upendra in CBI custody who told them that the seven policemen had come to their clinic in DLF Gurgaon and extorted money from them. The case was unearthed on the basis of technical surveillance.

On February 14, the Crime Branch of Delhi Police arrested Assistant Sub Inspector (ASI) Ravinder Kumar Singh for extorting Rs 19.85 lakh from Upendra Kumar, while six others were on the run. On March 24, Constables Rakesh and Naresh surrendered before a city court. Those still absconding are Head Constable Vijay Bahadur and constables Kaleembeg and Surendra.

Story Saved