No new patients for Trehan at Escorts
Patients seeking treatment from Trehan are turned away as his name is no longer in the list of hospital doctors.Updated: May 21, 2007 14:38 IST
Heart patients seeking treatment from sacked Escorts Hospital Executive Director Naresh Trehan were turned away as his name no longer finds a mention in the list of doctors at the healthcare centre.
Trehan, a renowned cardiologist, has not been allowed to take new patients at the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre since his ouster on Friday by Ranbaxy-promoted Fortis Healthcare that bought 90 per cent stake in Escorts in September 2005.
Trehan visited the hospital this morning, examined his patients and began operations that were scheduled for the day, hospital officials said.
However, no new patients are being admitted under Trehan as his name has been struck off from the hospital rolls, they said. A High Court order on Saturday had given Trehan unrestricted access to the hospital.
Sources close to Trehan also said that the cardiologist has been receiving letters directly from patients who had been turned down by the hospital.
Confusion reigned at the hospital as patients were unaware about the exact status of Trehan and that of the appointments granted to them earlier.
"I was given a letter on May 17 for an appointment for surgery today. But now they are not admitting me. I came all the way from Jaipur at 4:00 am. I have no idea what is going to happen," said 74-year-old Bimal Rai.
He said Trehan and his associate Nitish Chandra were to conduct the surgery on Monday.
Sushil Pruthy, a resident of Najafgarh, was also asked by the hospital authorities to have his mother Pushpa (65) admitted on Monday for treatment of heart ailment.