No specific threat to Games: police
The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) recently informed the Rajya Sabha that there is “no specific threat to the Commonwealth Games.”
To ensure that the Games are safe and secure, Delhi Police spent around Rs 125 crore on buying security equipment and on modernisation projects.
Recently, the Special Cell of Delhi Police claimed Salman Ahmed, a member of the terrorist outfit- Indian Mujahideen (IM), had told them that they were “regrouping” and wanted to stall the Commonwealth Games and World Cup cricket match in Delhi.
Ahmed was arrested in February for allegedly planting a bomb at Children’s Park in India Gate on September 13, 2008 and allegedly killing Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma during an encounter at Batla House a few days later.
Police claimed that the group was planning suicide attacks on VVIP’s and politicians.
In a reply to a question by Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Member of Parliament Rajiv Pratap Rudy on the threat perception to the Games, the ministry of home affairs (MHA) replied no specific threat inputs have been received so far.
It said “the security arrangements for the Commonwealth Games are regularly reviewed by the Empowered Security Committee, which comprises representatives from various security agencies.”
An International Security Liaison Group (ISLG) headed by a senior official of the Intelligence Bureau (IB) regularly reviews the security arrangements and briefs the participating countries.
In the first phase of the modernisation scheme that will become operational before the Commonwealth Games, 87 roads covering approximately 210 kilometres of road length and 220 signalised intersections will be covered.
“All the necessary arrangements have been taken by the police to conduct the games,” said Rajan Bhagat, police spokesman.