Office before children for city parents
Delhi’s working couple parents are a guilt-hit, harried lot, with the majority of them seeing themselves as “weekend parents” while their Mumbai counterparts are a lot more comfortable, a survey conducted by staffing firm TeamLease said on Wednesday.
Strangely, parents in Pune, a relatively small town, feel even more like weekend parents.
The overall verdict: Delhi mothers have a higher burden of child-rearing than their Mumbai counterparts.
Whatever the break-up, an increasing number of parents feel that work is taking too much off their days, leaving less quality time for kids who must make do with nannies, schools, creches, grandparents, television and friend, revealed the survey.
The survey was conducted on 425 corporate executives in large companies in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai and Pune to study how married couples were balancing their work and family life.
The survey by research agency Synovate revealed that about 62 of 100 working couples in Delhi agreed that they were becoming weekend parents as against only 35 out of 100 couples in Mumbai. Surprisingly, some 47 of the 50 executives from Pune said they get only weekend time with their kids.
And in conservative Delhi, a good bulk of the respondents felt that the burden of child-rearing is mainly that of the mother. About 40 out of 95 respondents from Delhi said the mother is solely responsible for bringing up children in a family as against nine out of 74 in Mumbai.
Does work affect marital relationship? Delhiites are the most unaffected. Only 18 out of 100 respondents in Delhi agreed that odd working hours affect their marriage.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- AAI tweeted video with along with a post that read, “AAI derives its strength from its women workforce. Maintaining individuality, these invincible women go beyond & above their call of duty to serve the nation.
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.