This year, women set to break the IIT gender wall
The number of women applicants for Sunday's IIT-JEE has seen a phenomenal rise of 30% than last year. Of the 5.07 lakh candidates, 1.69 lakh are women.
With women so far accounting for only 10-12% of the IIT population, this year's exam trend could be a small but positive step in improving the gender ratio in the premier institute.
Just three months ago, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had called for more women in the field of science, saying they were under-represented.
"The number of women students across the IITs is just around 10-12%. Logically it should be 50-50. But on more practical terms, 30% is attainable," said Dr Sanjay Dhande, director, IIT Kanpur.
Dr Dhande said consistently girls outperform boys in the boards and their numbers in the other engineering colleges too was high. It's only in the IITs that their count is low.
One of the reasons for the surge in women applicants this year could be the sharp drop in application fee - Rs 200 offline and free of cost if registered online.
Till last year, both men and women from the general category had to pay Rs 1,800 for offline and Rs 1,600 for online registration.
IIT Guwahati director Gautam Baruah hoped the high number of women applicants translates into admissions this year.
"Even if there is a 15% rise in women students, it will be a positive sign," said Baruah.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- As part of their investigation, police have till date arrested 1,753 persons, which includes 820 Hindus and 933 Muslims.
- The accused man, 30-year-old Sujeet Kumar, remains hospitalised and the police are waiting for him to recover before they pursue “suitable action” against him.
- A bench of justice Vipin Sanghi and justice Rekha Palli also asked the members of the striking union to not put under siege the municipal corporation or throw garbage on the streets.
- Manish Sisodia also interacted with students enrolled in the course to know their experiences.
- Jai Prakash, north Delhi mayor, said that all efforts of the municipal agencies this winter were focused to control local pollution sources.
- No Delhi police officer commented on the incident on record, but senior police officers aware of the development said on condition of anonymity that the two men who were on the target, are lodged in Tihar for their role in the northeast Delhi violence.
- Like several other curious onlookers, the boy too was watching the earthmover in action when the mishap took place, the police said.
- Considering the possibility of quitting this occupation, he observes that “one of the good things of being an auto driver is that all your income is made in hard cash.
- The last, which has a weight of almost one-third in the rankings, is a completely subjective parameter.
- The Bihari Puraskar is one of the three literary awards instituted by the KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It also asked the Centre why it was donating or selling Covid-19 vaccines to foreign countries at a time when the drive to inoculate Indian citizens was not optimised.