Prof Sangita Srivastava takes charge as first woman VC of Allahabad University
Prof Sangita Srivastava took over as the new regular vice chancellor of Allahabad University (AU) on Monday. She is the first woman to get appointed to the top post of the 133-year-old university that attained central status in 2005.
She also becomes the first faculty member of AU itself who would head the varsity as a regular VC in its central varsity avatar.
The post of AU VC was being managed by officiating vice-chancellors ever since the last regular incumbent prof RL Hangloo tendered his resignation on December 31, 2019.
Talking to media persons after taking charge, she said, “All efforts would be made to restore the lost glory of the institution by bettering its NIRF ranking and improving the academic environment and promote quality research in the university as well as in its constituent colleges.”
“To make that happen, filling vacant posts of teachers and non-teaching staff would be a priority,” she added. However, she said this will take another year-and-a-half to finish the task.
The new VC further said steps will also be taken to meet the needs of the departments and labs to help them function in a better way.
Prof Srivastava said with an aim of effectively implementing provisions of the New Education Policy, she would like to have a number of brainstorming sessions so that the transformation as envisaged in the policy can be attained, especially making under graduate courses of four-year duration instead of the existing three years besides paving way for students to opt for both science and arts subjects.
On the issue of student union on the campus, she said she would take up the call on it later.
“On the decision of whether to continue with online teaching or start offline teaching, we would take the decision after consulting the union ministry of education,” said the new VC.
Born in Sangam city, Prof Sangita Srivastava joined AU as a lecturer in AU’s home science department in 1989. She took over as head of the home science department in 2002. She served as the head of the department till she was appointed as VC of Prof Rajendra Singh (Rajju Bhaiya) University on June 25, 2019 for three years.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Singareni Collieries Company Limited (SCCL), under ministry of coal has invited online applications for the recruitment against 372 vacancies for Fitter, Welder, Junior Staff Nurse and other posts.
- The online registration window for JEE Main 2021 is closing on Saturday, January 23. Candidates who have not yet registered for the exam can online at jeemain.nta.nic.in. The last date to pay the registration fee is January 24.
- WB Police Recruitment 2021: West Bengal Police Recruitment Board (WBPRB) has invited online applications for recruitment against vacancies for the post of constable, lady constable, sub-inspector, lady SI and SI of Police (armed branch).
- Bihar continues to fare poorly in the ranking of institutions by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) despite the fact that all institutions have to get accredited by next year.
- Bihar Public Service Commission (BPSC) on Thursday released the provisional answer key of its 66th combined competitive preliminary examination on its official website- bpsc.bih.nic.in
- The UP Board intermediate practical examinations will begin from February 3. The exams will be held in two phases -- February 3 to 12 and February 13 to 22.
- Tezpur University 18th Convocation Updates: Prime Minister Narendra Modi was addressing the graduating students and faculty of Tezpur University on the occasion of its 18th convocation.
- SNAP Result 2021: The Symbiosis National Aptitude Test (SNAP) 2021 result was declared on Thursday, January 21, 2021, on its official website - snaptest.org.
- Board of School Education Haryana (BSEH) on Thursday declared the Haryana teachers’ eligibility test 2020 on its official website haryanatet.in
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC) on Thursday declared the Constable (GD) in CAPFs, NIA, SSF and Rifleman in Assam Rifles result 2018 on its official website ssc.nic.in. a total of 1,09,552 candidates have qualified.