Alia Bhatt can't vote in 2014, encourages youth to cast their votes
Alia Bhatt turned 21 last month. So you’d think that the Mumbai resident (the Bhatts live in Juhu) would be casting her vote in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
But the young actor won’t actually be able to vote, come April 24. She is a British passport holder, and, therefore, does not have Indian citizenship.
"Unfortunately, I can’t vote because I have a British passport," Alia says. She even mentioned the same thing in passing at a recent event in the city. But she also tells us, "I am past the date (to get the official documents for voting) this time around, but I will try and get my voting card the next time (elections) once I get my dual citizenship (sic; India does not actually allow dual citizenship)."
But even though she can’t vote herself, she says she’s trying to do her bit to motivate others to do so: "I’ve been encouraging the youth to go out there and vote, because, I feel, if there’s any change, it will happen through them. If I’m not mistaken, there are 12 crore new, young voters this time. Even if half of those 12 crore go out and do their bit, it will make a difference," she says.
Ask the actor’s father, Mahesh Bhatt, about this, and he explains that "Alia’s mother, Soni (Razdan, Birmingham-born), is of British origin. So, Alia automatically acquired the citizenship of that country… As Alia has said, she is trying to fulfil the formalities and go through processes in order to get the rights to exercise her franchise (in the next elections)."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Sahil Anand, recently seen on Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2, announced that him and his wife Rajneet Monga are expecting their first child. Check out his post.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Actor Anita Hassanandani has shared new pictures and videos of her newborn son, Aaravv. Check them out here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Meghan Markle has been accused of bullying Palace staff members during her stay in 2018. While the Kensington Palace said that it is investigating the claims, Meghan's friends are coming to her defense.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.