‘Birthday plans were just a publicity stunt’
I have never tried to gain publicity around my birthday in the last 26 years and I will not do it now,” says an angry Anupam Kher, who was in for a rude shock on Wednesday, when he discovered that the producer of his film, Kuch Log, had invited the media to Lucknow to celebrate his special day, without informing him. “I came to know about it only yesterday and I have turned down the request.”
However, producer Syed Asif Jha claims that Kher was informed of the plan: “Anupamji is aware of the celebrations. Since his birthday fell in between the shooting schedule, we decided to throw a party in Lucknow for local dignitaries, crew members and the media,” says Jha, adding that the actor had even suggested a date convenient to him for the same, as he was not going to be in Lucknow on March 7, his birthday. “He suggested that we have the party on March 6 as he had prior commitments. Maybe when he said yes to the plan, he did not know the media was also part of it.”But Kher remains oblivious to any such conversation. "Even if I didn’t have other plans, I wouldn’t have gone ahead with this celebration. I will never be party to this kind of publicity stunt. I prefer quiet birthdays," defends Kher, who will celebrate the day with his parents and wife Kirron Kher, before which he will be present at the European International Film Festival in Mumbai as a chief guest.
When Jha was informed of Kher’s take on the situation, he immediately retracted his statement. Even though his team invited the media specifically for Kher’s birthday via email, he continued to claim otherwise, saying, “I had called the press for a party to Lucknow, but it not for Anupamji’s birthday. It was a general party.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Twinkle Khanna shared a funny experience from her recent doctor's visit and joked about being a 'long-standing member of Giri Hui Aurat Club'.
- Hema Malini, who will be seen as a guest in an upcoming episode of Indian Idol 12, opened up about how her father tried to keep her away from Dharmendra.
- Satish Shah chose to wait in line for three hours in the scorching heat to get the Covid-19 vaccine. As he tweeted about not using the VIP entrance, fans flooded the internet with Maya Sarabhai jokes.
- Tamannaah Bhatia is currently in Jaipur, enjoying the pre-wedding functions of her best friend Hanna Khan. See pictures from sangeet and mehendi ceremonies.
- Bhumi Pednekar's sea-facing apartment in Mumbai features a potpourri of elements, including a beautiful garden, a grand chandelier and a small filmy spot.
- Kishwer Merchant said that her pregnancy was not planned. She is currently expecting her first child with her husband Suyyash Rai.
- Director Sooni Taraporevala has clarified that her accusations of plagiarism against the creatives behind an apparel ad have nothing to do with Deepika Padukone, who was featured in it.
- Tiger Shroff is among the most successful young stars. In an old interview, he had explained why buying a house for his parents was his most heroic act, off the screen.
- Kangana Ranaut alleged that no architect is willing to restore her office in Mumbai after it was partially demolished by the BMC last year, as they are being threatened with cancellation of their licenses.