Here's how Sidharth Malhotra struggled at TV auditions before film debut
Actor Sidharth Malhotra may have made a mark in Bollywood with a decade-long film career, but the actor didn't have it easy. Sidharth, who turns 36 on Saturday, had his own share of struggles ahead of his acting debut in the 2012 film, Student of the Year.
Sidharth had a tough time while appearing for multiple auditions for TV commercials. He once spoke the harsh reality of auditions and revealed that those taking auditions were 'unnecessarily rude' to aspiring actors.
He had said in an interview to DNA, "Most people were not civil, and were unnecessarily rude. Also, I had an immense sense of self respect even then, which people mistook for arrogance. I always knew I’m beyond this bullsh**. I would turn around and say, ‘Tameez se baat karo.’ I would speak in proper English and most times, they didn’t like that."
Before Sidharth finally bagged a Pond's advertisement with Sonal Chauhan, he felt really dejected by how things worked at auditions, where hundreds of aspiring actors stood in long ques.
"It was like a bloody jail where you have to say your name, number and act out something. Because half of us were clueless, we never got those jobs. People used to ask me to do some stupid, imaginary car-driving, or enact some lines or talk in some weird accent," he said.
Sidharth opted to enter the industry as an assistant director before he bagged his film debut. He assisted on the sets of Dostana and then My Name Is Khan. "At auditions, they make you feel terribly small and unimportant. That’s why I digressed and became an assistant director. It was a very negative environment. It didn’t help me grow and kept me in the same loop," he added.
Sidharth is looking forward to the release of the much-anticipated Shershaah, with rumoured girlfriend Kiara Advani. He plays the role of Param Vir Chakra awardee and army captain Vikram Batra in the war film.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Pranutan: What can I do if people want to believe in masala stories about nepotism, and not the truth
Anil Kapoor: Earlier it was like test match, today it’s IPL, the field is exciting for everyone in showbiz
- Janhvi Kapoor, who will be seen next in Roohi, said that viewers are not 'obligated' to love her and the onus is on her to give them a reason to. She added that she is working hard to win everyone over.
- Priyanka Chopra and her pet dog Diana are soaking up the sun in London, where the actor is shooting for the Amazon series Citadel, in which she plays a spy.
- Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt were clicked at an ad shoot with director Gauri Shinde. Check out some behind-the-scenes photos from the shoot here.
- Salman Khan said he feels 'awkward' and 'embarrassed' but at the same time, 'delighted' and 'honoured', to have his painting displayed alongside legends at an art show.
- Dr. Shriram Nene prepared a homemade pizza for Madhuri Dixit. As he shared a picture of it on Instagram, many of their fans showered compliments.
- Sara Ali Khan took to Instagram and revealed that she and her mother Amrita Singh visited Ajmer Sharif Dargah on Friday.
- Parineeti Chopra shared a new song - Matlabi Yariyan - from her upcoming film, The Girl On The Train. The actor has sung the soulful ballad. Watch here.
- Sara Ali Khan and her mother Amrita Singh were seen twinning in green at Mumbai airport on Thursday. See their pictures here.