Dev Raturi: 44-year-old from Uttarakhand is a film star in China
Dev Raturi, 44, from a small village of Kemsiya-Saur in Tehri Garhwal district, about 120 km from Dehradun, is an ardent Bruce Lee fan. However, little did he know that he would make it into the Chinese film industry and will walk in the footsteps of his childhood hero.
Born to a farmer family in 1976, a class 10 dropout, he moved to Delhi for work to be able to support his family in the village.
In 1998, he tried his luck in Bollywood without any success. He returned again to Delhi, did some odd jobs and learnt martial arts.
He then decided to move to China in 2005 and worked as a waiter in an Indian restaurant in Beijing.
Narrating his journey from a waiter to a film star in China, Raturi, in a e-mail interview, said, "I worked as a waiter for two years and then in 2007 was made a manager in a German restaurant. Gradually I learned professional skills and was appointed area director in a hospitality chain in 2010."
Got his break in Chinese film industry in 2016
He returned to India in 2011 to get married. Once back in China again, he opened his own Indian restaurant named Red Fort in Xi'an city of Shaanxi province in 2013.
"Following that, I opened my second restaurant in 2015. Then the following year, I finally got my break in the film industry, when I got a chance to play a small role of an Indian character in a Chinese film named Special SWAT. It was a negative role but from then onwards, there was no turning back," said Raturi.
He said that his work was appreciated in the film which opened doors for him for more roles in the Chinese films, TV and web series.
"I have now worked in over 20 films, TV and web series till date while playing various roles like police officer, astronaut, special forces officer and doctor. A film named Mercenaries was a superhit while a TV series named My Roommate is a Detective was the most liked web series in China in 2020," said Raturi.
His other works included The Ark, Street Rebirth, Sword Front Warrior and The Trapped.
Celebrate Indian culture in China
Living in China for the last 15 years, Raturi said that he still hasn't forgotten his "Pahad" and India ande tries to make the Chinese people aware of his country's culture and festivals by organising various cultural events at his eight restaurants across China.
"I have been provided ample opportunities in China and never faced any antagonism by the Chinese people even during last year's border scuffle," said Raturi.
He added that he would want to work in a joint movie venture between Indian and Chinese film industries one day.
"I want that movie to show the culture of both the countries. As a gesture of giving back something to my country, I also want to make an investment of about ₹500 crore in India, especially in my state of Uttarakhand," said Raturi.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Pavitra Punia lashed out at those criticising her relationship with Eijaz Khan and reiterated that they do not need the approval of haters. The couple fell in love during Bigg Boss 14.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- The Golden Globes 2021 winners will be announced on February 28 (March 1 in India). Here's what time the 78th Golden Globe Awards will commence and how to watch the show.
- Parth Samthaan opened up about his decision to quit the popular show, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, last year. He said that it had become repetitive for him after a point.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.