Cast member Gina Carano poses at the premiere for the television series "The Mandalorian" in Los Angeles, California, U.S., November 13, 2019. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni(REUTERS)

Gina Carano addresses The Mandalorian firing, says she was 'bullied' by Disney

Actor Gina Carano, who was fired from the hit drama series The Mandalorian over inflammatory social media posts, recently opened up about it, calling out Disney for 'bullying' her.
ANI
UPDATED ON FEB 23, 2021 11:17 AM IST

Actor Gina Carano, who was fired from the hit 2019 drama series The Mandalorian over inflammatory social media posts, recently opened up about it, calling out Disney for 'bullying' her.

As per People Magazine, the actor sat down with The Daily Wire's Ben Shapiro, with whom she now has a movie deal, to discuss the controversy.

"I've been through so much, and I've seen so much now, clearly, of the bullying that's been taking place, and I saw it before. I'm not the only one that's ever been bullied by this company, and I know that so deeply," she said about Disney.

Carano said she could share a story that would "turn things around in the media" but did not because it would implicate a friend. "Everyone is afraid of losing their job," she said.

Carano also discussed the post that led to her firing, which featured an image of a Jewish woman fleeing men armed with clubs in 1941 Ukraine. The post read, "Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors... even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don't realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views?"

In her chat with Shapiro, Carano, who said she's "so inspired by the gentle spirit of the Jewish people," maintained her intention with the photo was to "bring people together" and to call attention to "people tearing each other apart."

The actor also claimed that her former employers were looking for a reason to fire her from the show, comparing the situation to head-hunting in boxing.

"You know how boxers head-hunt sometimes and forget to go for the body? I feel like Disney or Lucasfilm or whoever it is, just certain people at that company... I feel like I've been being head-hunted (...) and you can feel it," she explained.

Carano concluded her thoughts on the matter by doubling down on her assertion that Disney was 'bullying' her into silence.

"I was prepared at any point to be let go, because I've seen this happen to so many people. I've seen the looks on their faces. I've seen the bullying that takes place, and so when this started, they point their guns at you, and you know it's only a matter of time. I've seen it happen to so many people, and I just thought to myself (...) 'you're coming for me, I know you are.' They're making it very obvious through their employees who were coming for me, and so I was like, 'I'm going to go down swinging and I'm going to stay true to myself.'"

It was recently announced that Carano is teaming with The Daily Wire for a new movie after she was dropped by her agency UTA.

Also read: Gina Carano fired from The Mandalorian after 'abhorrent' comments on Holocaust

Earlier last week, Carano revealed that she was sidelined during the press promotion for the second season of the series after she and Lucasfilms, which produces the show and is owned by Disney, became at odds with each other.

On February 10, a Lucasfilm spokesperson said in a statement obtained by Variety, "Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable."

The actor played former Rebel Alliance soldier Cara Dune in The Mandalorian. As per Variety, Lucasfilm fired Carano on February 10 after she shared several controversial social media posts on her Instagram story.

Related Stories

Gina Carano plays Cara Dune on The Mandalorian,
Gina Carano plays Cara Dune on The Mandalorian,

Gina Carano fired from The Mandalorian after 'abhorrent' comments on Holocaust

AP
UPDATED ON FEB 12, 2021 07:48 AM IST
Gina Carano, who plays Cara Dune on The Mandalorian, has been fired from the show. She has been under fire for her controversial comments on Twitter.
Actor Rajniesh Duggall is currently shooting for OTT series ‘Inspector Anivash’ in Lucknow. (HT Photo)

Rajniesh Duggall: It’s my time now and things are falling in place too

By Deep Saxena
PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 07:43 PM IST
With six projects lined up for release this year, ‘1920’ fame actor Rajniesh Duggall says, “By God’s grace everything is falling in place and it’s my time now!” He is currently shooting in Lucknow for OTT series ‘Inspector Avinash’ with Randeep Hooda.
WandaVision premiered its finale episode on Friday.
WandaVision premiered its finale episode on Friday.

WandaVision finale: Fans feel betrayed after several fan theories proven wrong

PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 07:18 PM IST
  • WandaVision premiered its ninth and final episode on Friday. While it was a satisfying end to Marvel Cinematic Universe's first Phase 4 project, fans feel betrayed over a revelation made.
Several shows were marred in controversy and faced boycott calls.
Several shows were marred in controversy and faced boycott calls.

Threats and intimidation to artistes have no place in the creative space

By Juhi Chakraborty
UPDATED ON MAR 05, 2021 04:59 PM IST
Makers and artistes admit that there could be disagreements over content of any film or show but same should be brought forward using the right channel only.
Malayalam superstar Mohanlal feels OTT platforms provide a wider segment of audience

Mohanlal: We create movies for the audience alone

By Sugandha Rawal
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 09:28 PM IST
The world is seeing the rise of OTT platforms and much credit for this phenomenon can be given to the Covid-19 pandemic
Actor Namit Das in Lucknow (Sourced photo)
Actor Namit Das in Lucknow (Sourced photo)

Namit Das: The real credit goes to the directors

By Deep Saxena
UPDATED ON MAR 04, 2021 10:53 PM IST
‘A Suitable Boy’ actor Namit Das is happy essaying different characters in his recent OTT projects, from the mysterious role in ‘Mafia’ to the edgy character in ‘Arya. These different characters have given him a rounded image, he said.
On her glamorous looks, Shamita says, “What you see on screen is unlike what I am in real life.”

I would love to get married but don’t know where my guy is

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 02:48 PM IST
The 42-year-old actor talks about romance and marriage, “I wear my heart on my sleeve, and that’s probably why I get into trouble always but I believe in love.”
Priyanka Chopra on sets of Citadel.
Priyanka Chopra on sets of Citadel.

Priyanka begins Citadel shoot in London, gets a warm welcome on sets

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 02:47 PM IST
  • Priyanka Chopra has shared a picture from the sets of her spy web series, Citadel in London as she arrived to begin the shoot.
WandaVision will premiere its ninth and final episode on Friday.
WandaVision will premiere its ninth and final episode on Friday.

WandaVision director warns disappointment awaits many fans ahead of finale

PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 02:07 PM IST
  • WandaVision will premiere its final episode on Friday. Ahead of the finale, director Matt Shakman teases the ending and praises Elizabeth Olsen.
Scam season 2 will be based on the life of Abdul Karim Telgi.
Scam season 2 will be based on the life of Abdul Karim Telgi.

Hansal Mehta to return with Scam 2003: The Curious Case of Abdul Karim Telgi

PTI
UPDATED ON MAR 04, 2021 11:10 AM IST
Scam 2003: The Curious Case of Abdul Karim Telgi will be adapted from journalist Sanjay Singh's book Reporter ki Diary, who is credited with breaking the story of the scam back in the time.
Sagar Wahi is currently shooting OTT series ‘Taav’ in Kanpur and Unnao. (Sourced photo)

Sagar Wahi: OTT has given me the satisfaction I was craving for

By Deep Saxena
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 07:08 PM IST
Prayagraj-lad Sagar Wahi of ‘Nimki Mukhia’ and ‘Madhuri Talkies’ fame says he is enjoying the challenges OTT is offering to actors. He is currently shooting for OTT series ‘Taav’ in Unnao-Kanpur.
Sushmita Sen is filming for Aarya 2 in Jaipur.
Sushmita Sen is filming for Aarya 2 in Jaipur.

Sushmita starts Aarya 2 shoot in Jaipur: 'Hell hath no fury like a woman reborn’

PTI
PUBLISHED ON MAR 03, 2021 02:34 PM IST
Sushmita Sen has shared a picture from the sets of her web show Aarya 2 in Jaipur. She said she is super excited for the second season of the show.
Actor Bidita Bag on her visit to Lucknow. (Suraj Kumar/HT)
Actor Bidita Bag on her visit to Lucknow. (Suraj Kumar/HT)

Bidita Bag: OTT is giving work, money & visibility

By Deep Saxena
PUBLISHED ON MAR 01, 2021 11:55 PM IST
Now, we can’t complain as there is enough good work for actors, said the ‘Babumoshai Bandookbaz’ actor on her visit to Lucknow
Asheema Vardaan (sourced)
Asheema Vardaan (sourced)

Expectations from women are always high: Asheema Vardaan

By S Farah Rizvi
UPDATED ON FEB 28, 2021 02:50 PM IST
Actor Asheema Vardaan feels that the struggle of girls in the entertainment industry is two-fold
A lot of web shows have come under the scanner and OTT platforms are expected to self regulate their content.

OTT route to regulation: Ratings, grievance redressal and more

By Sugandha Rawal
UPDATED ON FEB 28, 2021 11:25 AM IST
Trade experts, filmmakers and actors share their views on calls for OTT regulation and government notifying rules to mandate content classification on online platforms.
Priyanka Chopra stars in Citadel alongside Richard Madden.
Priyanka Chopra stars in Citadel alongside Richard Madden.

Russo Brothers call Priyanka Chopra ‘incredible star’, talk about Citadel

UPDATED ON FEB 27, 2021 07:06 AM IST
  • The Russo Brothers showered praise on Priyanka Chopra, whom they called an 'incredible star', and said that she will be 'amazing' in the Amazon spy series Citadel.