With no big releases, Bollywood worried about low-key March
Exhibitors of Bollywood movies are worried that there are no movies lined up for release in March after the Hrithik Roshan-Aishwarya Rai starrer Jodhaa Akbar to keep the box-office buoyant.
While Jodhaa Akbar is expected to sail smoothly for at least another three weeks, only two movies are due for release next month - Mukta Searchlight Films' Black & White and Tips Films' Race. Major movies are usually not released in March due to the board exams.
Though producer-director Subhash Ghai once had the reputation of being a box-office wizard, trade circles are surprisingly not very enthusiastic about his latest venture Black & White, which is slated for a March 7 release.
This is despite the fact that Ghai has returned to direction after a gap of four years with this movie. However, Ghai himself is optimistic about its box-office prospects because he says he has made the movie "from the heart".
At the movie's launch, Ghai had said: "It is different from all the other movies I have produced and directed. The subject inspired me so much that I decided to direct it myself. It is my most challenging project."
Trade circles, on the other hand, have projected the movie as only a small film because Ghai has handled a subject that is not commercially inspiring. Ghai showcases Hindu-Muslim communal harmony through the drama of love and hatred between two protagonists belonging to two different religions.
The movie has Anil Kapoor in the role of a professor with Shefali Shah and debutant actor Anurag Sinha, a graduate from the reputed Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, in other key roles.
In contrast to the subdued theme of Black & White, Race, directed by successful director duo Abbas and Mastan, has suspense and intrigue with oodles of fast-paced action. The movie, with Saif Ali Khan, Bobby Deol, Akshaye Khanna, Bipasha Basu, Sameera Reddy and Anil Kapoor in the cast, is due for release March 21.
Whatever its box-office prospects might be, the movie's producers Kumar and Ramesh Taurani of Tips Industries Ltd. have already earned a fair profit by selling it to UTV for reportedly Rs.500 million.
Shot extensively in Dubai and Durban, Race is essentially a suspense thriller - a genre the director duo thrives on.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Keerthy Suresh shared an adorable video of her dog Nyke who is first seen running away from a robot vacuum cleaner and is then riding it like a boss.
- Raashi Khanna shared a few pictures from her playtime with her nephew Neil and called him the love and light of her life.
- Miley Cyrus shared a throwback picture of her and singer Nick Jonas. The two Disney alums were rumoured to be dating when they were younger.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.
- Irrfan Khan's son Babil got a detailed message from the actor's The Namesake co-star Kal Penn who said that he wasn't sure how to get in touch with the family to share his love and gratitude.
- Aelay is a fun, sweet film that gets so much right about life in a small village and their tradition but is needlessly long drawn.
- Sara Ali Khan has shared a few adorable pictures with cousin Inaaya Naumi Kemmu (daughter of her aunt Soha Ali Khan) and the two have been called ‘cuteness queens’ by the internet.
- Ranveer Singh's sister Ritika Bhavnani celebrated her birthday on Saturday and the entire Bhavnani family came together to celebrate the occasion by stepping out for a family dinner.