You can't afford to ignore me: Sharbani Mukherjee
There's something about Sharbani Mukherjee that makes you cautious about asking questions from her. The soft-spoken girl with an in-your-face attitude knows what she wants to speak and doesn't utter a word beyond that. Sharbani plays the role of Kasturi in Mazhar Kamran's debut film Mohandas.
"Though I am playing the role of Mohandas's wife, you cannot ignore my performance. It's a strong character that is important to the film."
The actress is all praise for the director's vision and clarity. "Nakul is lucky to get the author-backed role in Mazhar Kamran's movie, as he has shot the film beautifully. I wish Mazhar gives me the tile role in his next film"
"It is a completely deglam or no make-up role. We have shot the film in some beautiful locations. Filmmakers should explore more such location in India," adds the actress.
Though Sharbani Mukherjee considers herself a spontaneous actor; she did a lot of research for her role in Mohandas. The actress keenly observed Sonbhadra district in Madhya Pradesh, where the shooting took place.
"The authenticity of the place really helps. I observed the ladies in the village and followed their lingo. Also a rural person emotes differently from a city person. It was like living your character and not just playing it. It took me a long time to break away from the character of Kasturi after the shooting wrapped up."
The actress feels that characters like Kasturi are rarely seen on celluloid. "That Indian feel is missing in the woman characters. Indian women can take a lot and have immense strength. They are bold yet innocent. There are many shades to Indian women."
Sharbani Mukherjee is clear about the kind of films she wants to do and does not take up a role until it excites her. "I didn't want to do every film that came my way. I wanted to complete my studies. I don't want to limit myself to just one aspect of cinema; I want to explore other aspects too. I may possibly direct a film in future."
Mohandas, apart from being screened at Osian's film festival would be shown in other film festivals across the world and the actress is quite upbeat about it. "Because of my family background, I've always been a movie buff. Mohandas gave me a platform to enter the film festival scene. It's so good to know that people would see my film in a film festival."
The actress is not at all worried about the reactions of people, as she knows she can't be ignored. "You cannot afford to ignore me. I will haunt you with my performance," she declares.
Adds the actress; "If people still remember me as Border girl, it means there is something in me. People still remember me in Ghar Aaja Soniya video. I learnt sign language for playing a dumb and deaf girl in the video. It was like a short film."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Prakash Raj is the latest addition to the cast of Mani Ratnam's ambitious period drama Ponniyin Selvan. The two first worked together in Iruvar in 1997.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Kavita Kaushik took a dig at Rubina Dilaik while saying that she deserves to win the Bigg Boss 14 trophy. Earlier, Kavita walked out of the show after a nasty fight with Rubina.
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Twinkle Khanna shared a review of Tandav, which said that Dimple Kapadia 'upstaged' her co-star Saif Ali Khan. While Twinkle praised Saif's performance as well, she said that 'mama bear is still the best'.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- Sidharth Shukla watched the first three episodes of Tandav and praised the show. He also gave a shout-out to Gauahar Khan and said that he loved her performance.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.