2020: Year of comfort dressing with an edge
One’s likely to remember 2020 as a year of tracksuits, pyjama sets and lounge dressing. Covid took a major toll on our collective style sensibility and also in a way dented our sartorial finesse. However, there were moments when people ditched their trackpants for a daring outfit and replaced trainers with a pair of kicky heels. For a lot of us, our liberated and individualistic style was an antidote to our sagging spirits. No wonder Google’s yearly data proves that people are dressing radically with an unconventional elan. The internet hysteria over the JW Anderson patchwork knit cardigan worn by Harry Styles being a case in point. And all thanks to the latest season of The Crown on Netflix, Princess Diana’s deeply symbolic black sheep jumper was relaunched by Rowing Blazers (now available only for pre-order only due to overwhelming demand). The other trending styles this year include “alt style,” “e-girl style,” and “y2k style,” One also saw a craze about the skater girl chic and ‘80s style clothing.
Entrepreneur Kalyani Chawla of Rezon Luxury Silverware observes that the one thing everyone is itching to do is dress up! “As low-key as Diwali was this year, we all dressed up to the hilt meeting with family and perhaps very few friends, only to feel good if nothing else,” says Kalyani, who states that she has never lounged around in her sweats even during the lockdown.
“It would have totally broken me I feel. This has everything to do with looking good and feeling good more so now than ever. Trends are catching on as everyone is hooked on to social media with no travels. Also, with no in-store shopping, the online purchasing has become a habit with some, who have never shopped online, like myself! We all need an excuse to just feel good - keeping up with trends has always been important for the discerning and now the informed thanks to Instagram and popular Netflix shows like The Crown,” she adds.
A strong nod to the maximalist ‘80s was felt both on the runways and at the stores this year. Besides, several high street and luxury collaborations created a heady mix of style which delightfully clashed high with low. Artist and businesswoman Michelle Poonawalla affirms that with the pandemic even though there has been less opportunity to dress up for events and social outings, the year has seen some key trends emerging with an eclectic mash-up of street touches and retro influences. “We do see a comeback of the mom jeans, high-waist denims and an overarching ‘80s aesthetic, besides a resurgence of comfort pieces like the Pangaia tracksuit. Moreover an array of big collaborations of brands like Nike creating street trainers with Off-White and Dior make it an interesting time for fashion.”
Lounge wear styling too saw quirky touches like statement necklaces and earrings for work Zoom calls and virtual cocktails. Samyukta Nair, Founder, Dandelion has lately observed loungewear and sleepwear, matched as co-ord sets, worn with a fun spin on it - be it statement accessories or high heels! “Everyone wants to be comfy as we are still largely indoors, but added details with the right earrings or a necklace, a handbag and shoes give a relaxed easy outfit the much-needed, pick-me-up to feel like you’ve put a look together while still being in your chill best,” says Nair.
Fashion has always been a mood enhancer and the pandemic has made us relive the magic of putting on a crazy pair of heels or a pair of look-at-me earrings. 2020 also made us revisit our closets several times and rediscover the sheer joy of trying on an old pair of jeans which we bought at a trip, but never wore or an heirloom piece, which awaited our attention. Besides, binge-watching The Crown has made us fall in love with Lady Diana’s pie crust collars and pussy bow blouses.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Athleisure has made its way into our wardrobes and it is here to stay. Celebrities also love a good lounge wear set which they can wear at home and also run last minute errands in. However, Disha Patani and Kiara Advani are giving athleisure a summer twist with bright and bold colours and we love it.
- Mouni Roy recently shared images from a new photo shoot wearing a gorgeous bright red kurta, ijaar pants and bandhani dupatta. She looked like a dreamy dulhan in the images. All the brides-to-be take note.
- Model and celebrity chef Chrissy Teigen made her desi fans extremely happy as she danced to the Varun Dhawan and Parineeti Chopra starrer Bollywood song Jaaneman Aah from the film Dishoom.
- Nora Fatehi has a collection of dresses that ranges from minis to everything you can think of. The fashionista, who is often snapped in a beautiful attire, loves a good dress and we always end up taking inspiration from her sartorial picks.
- The high-end fashion house Dolce&Gabbana had filed a defamation suit against an Instagram account in the Italian court in 2019 and are seeking USD 600 million in damages.
- Kangana Ranaut looked radiant in a pink anarkali kurta with full, churidar sleeves, a white churidar and a self printed white dupatta. The Queen actor's look is perfect for the blazing heat of Mumbai.
- Janhvi Kapoor turned 24 today and in order to celebrate the day, we are taking a trip down memory lane and checking out the times she looked marvellous in ethnic attires.
- Allu Arjun is celebrating his 10 year wedding anniversary with wife Sneha Reddy. The fashion icon can carry every style with the utmost comfort and these pictures are proof.