Can you pull off the SOD?
Wearing a skirt over a dress is cool and it also cleverly camouflages a heavy butt.Updated: May 06, 2012 01:25 IST
Would you pull up a skirt over your dress? We aren’t kidding. The very ’90s edgy trend of wearing skirts over your slacks has made an innovative comeback. This time the skirt goes over the dress, and is being called SOD — skirt over dress. A fun way to add some quirk to your style, some fashion-forward Hollywood fashionistas have already been endorsing the trend. Actor Blake Lively recently wore a cream lace Valentino dress, and slipped on a light blue skirt over it. Actor Diane Kruger too showed us how to do the SOD by teaming up a Derek Lam floral print shirtdress with a black and white striped skirt, and got full marks for her daring style.
The funky mix and match, if done wisely, can make you look different from others, and can be a lot of fun too. The basic idea of pulling up a skirt over your dress is to make skirt work as an accessory, and let it accentuate your figure, serving as a belt.With some imagination, and confidence to do things your way, you can do a lot of fun stuff with the SOD. Designers too give the SOD a thumbs-up. "The SOD is a super cool way of layering. It is sure to grab eyeballs when you go partying," says designer Aneeth Arora. Designer Rina Dhaka says that the trend is a boon for those with a heavier butt. "It works wells for your derrière and hides all your bulges stylishly," she says.
HT City does an SOD trial
We prodded two city fashionistas Sheena (left) and Isha Rekhi (right) to try out the SOD style. Fashion designers Rimple Narula, and Bharat and Reshma Grover picked up outfits off the racks at two fashion stores, did a little mix and match and created two different SOD looks for the girls. The results left the two puzzled girls with an ear to ear grin. So if you too are game for the SOD, here’s some help.
Fun ways to do the SOD
* Try monochromes when wearing a skirt over a dress, with the lighter colour on dark, and darker underneath. Mix up a masculine fabric like a denim with something soft and delicate like a lace, or even try out contrasting colours.
* For a better shape, you could keep your dress’ flare inside and neaten up the look with a slim-fitting skirt over the dress.
* You can also try out prints over prints (like actor Diane Kruger in the picture on the left), unless both the prints are too severe to team up.
* Keep your accessories minimal and understated as you already are drawing attention to your butt with the skirt over your dress.
* A flare on the top (a frilly or a pleated skirt over a dress) look may not work for those with a heavy bum.
SOD for partying out
Spirited enough to carry a bold look? Try colour-blocking, contrasting a bright dress with a bright skirt. Designers Bharat and Reshma Grover pick a bright red, pleated dress (R6,000) for Isha Rekhi (above) and teamed it with a slim fitting black skirt (R2,200), from Forever New. “This is perfect for a party, where you need attention. But stay away from excess accessories, as it can ruin your look,” advise the Grovers.
Will you try the SOD this season? Tell us what do you think of new trend at facebook.com/htcity
First Published: May 05, 2012 17:47 IST