Most Indian women have been wearing the wrong sized bra — some by choice (to minimise the size of their breasts), some because they don’t know better and others because, until recently, available sizes have been limited to the D cup. However, the days of the Indian woman stuffing herself into ill-fitting bras are over.
Shops have started stocking D, DD, E, F and even G cups. One shop owner said today’s woman, unlike previous generations, is also buying bigger bras than needed and stuffing them to enhance their assets.
International and domestic lingerie manufacturers are making or importing lingerie for what they call the fuller figure and Indian woman appear more comfortable flaunting their assets. The larger sizes are no indication of any anatomical change but greater awareness of the right size for their body type.
“One had to buy a smaller cup size or go to Lajpat Nagar to find a D cup,” said Sharon Sharma, IT professional. Smriti Gupta, director of lingerie store Kunchals, said Indian women were now aware of health trends and well travelled enough to know that the right bra size will enhance their assets, “To look more curvaceous, flat chested women wear a big cup sized bra and fill it with silicon caps or socks or even at times small balls to be a perfect 34-26-32.”
The trend towards bigger bras is not confined to India. The world’s best known brassiere, Wonderbra, has also just introduced cups from sizes D to G. Etam has come out with an E sized cup in their standalone Delhi stores. Product head Anuradha Burman said, “I won’t be surprised if there are many women who wouldn’t know their cup sizes. But recently we have seen women being more aware and this has resulted in a demand for the bigger cup size bra.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mira Rajput and Shahid Kapoor are currently holidaying in Goa and the mother-of-two is flaunting her enviable curves in some of the most fabulous beach wear. Their pictures are making us crave for a vacation as well.
- Tandav star Saif Ali Khan turns cover boy for a magazine and his latest pictures in a teal blue bandhgala are fashion goals for men to break away yet embrace the mundane with naturalism
- Hina Khan is having a gala time on her trip. The fashionista has been giving us great brunch date look ideas. She has been snapped in some of the the most impressive ensembles and we are getting inspired.
- Sara Ali Khan's latest leather look teaches us how to brave the winter and look badass while doing it. The Simmba actor is a fashionista in the truest sense.
- On Sunday, Prada unveiled their latest collection - anti-uniform which is an ode to our new intimacy in our ever-tighter circles: luxury long-johns, digitally.
- Athiya Shetty has been making us dream of an endless summer to far flung places and her sizzling fashionable looks, in floral or fancy dresses that flaunt effortless silhouettes and celebrate the feminine figure, are to be blamed
- NBA coaches' casual dressing, during the league at Walt Disney World in Florida, inspires basketball coaches across America to eschew the traditional game day attire of coats, ties and dress slacks in favour of polos, quarter-zips and warmup pants as comfort over style becomes the new fashion trend
- Khushi Kapoor is currently holidaying in Delhi and giving us winter wardrobe inspiration. The 20-year-old has been spotted wearing a lot of delicate crop sweaters and wide-legged pants.
- Nora Fatehi, who is currently holidaying in Dubai, has been serving us some royal looks lately. Her recent statement-making kaftan dress is fit for a queen and we love it.
- Anne Hathaway forgoes the traditional red carpet premiere of her film ‘Locked Down’ but treats fans to a slew of luxurious looks in three dazzling metallic gowns from Vivienne Westwood, Versace and Azzaro and we can’t stop swooning
- Samantha Akkineni recently slayed in a denim midi dress at the promotions of her upcoming web series, The Family Man. The actor flaunted her enviable curves in the distressed bodycon outfit.
- Manish Malhotra encourages men to experiment with colours this wedding season, nails a dapper magnificent look in a purple textured sherwani with a bold animal emblem and a pair of white pants and we are in awe
- Gauahar Khan shared images of herself looking absolutely stunning in a sweater worth ₹2k and pyjamas along with husband Zaid Darbar. The fashionista can slay any outfit and these images are proof.
- Want to look your 'vinatge best' on a date night with bae this winter? Sonam Kapoor Ahuja sorts fashion woes on how to sizzle up some romance and make a steamy monochromatic statement like she does in a sultry black velvet dress from Anand Ahuja's Bhaane. Read on for styling cues
- Want to make a fashion statement in office while sticking to an easy fit no-fuss garment? Look no further as Bhumi Pednekar sorts your fashion woes with her radiant look in a dirt yellow and beige jumpsuit that is sure to steal all the spotlight at work