'Marriage doesn't affect a model's career'
Diandra Soares on Indian models, her role in Madhur Bhandarkar's Fashion and wardrobe malfunctions, interviewed by Rachana Dubey.
Okay, so when did you get that instinct to model?
I didn’t choose modelling, it chose me.
What’s the role of modelling agencies today?
They’re mushrooming. A decade ago, models would be running around to get things in place. Today, there are thousands of agencies. Models enroll there and become lax. They don’t do much, the agency does every thing for them. But models forget that most of these agencies are new.. inexperienced. They have to be careful while choosing an agency to handle their work.
Why have most Indian models chosen to be on foreign ramps?
Naturally the money is good there. The ramps, the brands are bigger. But I wouldn’t say that all the top models have gone there. Quite a few are still loyal to the Indian ramps.
What continues to make modelling attractive?
The money is better than before. The modelling industry was also a bit backward a decade ago. Parents would have issues with their kids getting into modelling.. not any more. But yes, I have to say that ‘iconic personalities’ from other professions have eaten into our area. Even fashion designers increasingly choose to have socialites and movie heroes and heroines to walk the ramp for their shows. So, models have to face cut-throat competition.
And what about models crossing over to films?
Maybe. I never did though I was approached. I want to be comfortable with what I do. I wasn’t exactly kicked about dancing around the trees and dating aman.
Aren’t you in Madhur Bhandarkar’s Fashion?
Yeah.. it’s just a ramp walk like one normally does. We have to be ourselves in his film since it revolves around the fashion industry.
Any new faces who’re hot on the modelling scene now?
Yeah.. Inder is good.. he’s a little short but that doesn’t affect his charisma on the ramp. Candice Pinto, Pia Trivedi, Laxmi Rana and Asif are really hot.
Have you ever been discriminated for the colour of your skin?
I was Miss Beautiful Skin when I contested for Miss India. But to date, I’ve never done anad commercial for a skin product. Here in India, the belief continues that.. fair is beautiful and dusky is not—it’s just the opposite abroad. My mother hates the tanned look. When I travel for shows and assignments abroad, I’m adored for it.
Would you agree that there’s much ado about malfunctions?
Of course, but do you think malfunctions never happened before Carol’s or Gauhar’s? They did but they were not flashed on television with runs and re-runs. They were not all over the newspapers. There have been worse malfunctions than theirs but they didn’t reach the public eye.
Does marriage affect a model’s career?
No way! Look at Laxmi Rana, she entered modelling after she married. Noyonika Chatterjee, Malaika Arora Khan, Mehr Jessia and Madhu Sapre are still hot.. no matter how frequent or infrequent they are on the ramp.
When do you plan to get married then?
I’d rather leave that to time. Right now, I’m happy with my relationship with DJ Whosane, we’re going steady.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Mira Rajput and Shahid Kapoor are currently holidaying in Goa and the mother-of-two is flaunting her enviable curves in some of the most fabulous beach wear. Their pictures are making us crave for a vacation as well.
- Tandav star Saif Ali Khan turns cover boy for a magazine and his latest pictures in a teal blue bandhgala are fashion goals for men to break away yet embrace the mundane with naturalism
- Hina Khan is having a gala time on her trip. The fashionista has been giving us great brunch date look ideas. She has been snapped in some of the the most impressive ensembles and we are getting inspired.
- Sara Ali Khan's latest leather look teaches us how to brave the winter and look badass while doing it. The Simmba actor is a fashionista in the truest sense.
- On Sunday, Prada unveiled their latest collection - anti-uniform which is an ode to our new intimacy in our ever-tighter circles: luxury long-johns, digitally.
- Athiya Shetty has been making us dream of an endless summer to far flung places and her sizzling fashionable looks, in floral or fancy dresses that flaunt effortless silhouettes and celebrate the feminine figure, are to be blamed
- NBA coaches' casual dressing, during the league at Walt Disney World in Florida, inspires basketball coaches across America to eschew the traditional game day attire of coats, ties and dress slacks in favour of polos, quarter-zips and warmup pants as comfort over style becomes the new fashion trend
- Khushi Kapoor is currently holidaying in Delhi and giving us winter wardrobe inspiration. The 20-year-old has been spotted wearing a lot of delicate crop sweaters and wide-legged pants.
- Nora Fatehi, who is currently holidaying in Dubai, has been serving us some royal looks lately. Her recent statement-making kaftan dress is fit for a queen and we love it.
- Anne Hathaway forgoes the traditional red carpet premiere of her film ‘Locked Down’ but treats fans to a slew of luxurious looks in three dazzling metallic gowns from Vivienne Westwood, Versace and Azzaro and we can’t stop swooning
- Samantha Akkineni recently slayed in a denim midi dress at the promotions of her upcoming web series, The Family Man. The actor flaunted her enviable curves in the distressed bodycon outfit.
- Manish Malhotra encourages men to experiment with colours this wedding season, nails a dapper magnificent look in a purple textured sherwani with a bold animal emblem and a pair of white pants and we are in awe
- Gauahar Khan shared images of herself looking absolutely stunning in a sweater worth ₹2k and pyjamas along with husband Zaid Darbar. The fashionista can slay any outfit and these images are proof.
- Want to look your 'vinatge best' on a date night with bae this winter? Sonam Kapoor Ahuja sorts fashion woes on how to sizzle up some romance and make a steamy monochromatic statement like she does in a sultry black velvet dress from Anand Ahuja's Bhaane. Read on for styling cues
- Want to make a fashion statement in office while sticking to an easy fit no-fuss garment? Look no further as Bhumi Pednekar sorts your fashion woes with her radiant look in a dirt yellow and beige jumpsuit that is sure to steal all the spotlight at work