‘Glamour in most relaxed form’: Naeem Khan launches Indian-heritage inspired fashion collection at luxe New York home
Naeem Khan brought it home with his new spring-summer 2020 collection, launching his runway show in the chic lobby and courtyard of his New York City apartment building.
The longtime designer set up shop Tuesday on the ground floor of the ultramodern Zaha Hadid Building on Manhattan’s west side. Lucite chairs lined the entryway and outside space of the building — a modern metallic and glass structure with serpentine lines and rounded balconies towering over a courtyard. Hadid, who was a close friend of Khan’s, designed the building before her death in 2016.
Khan said the space Hadid created inspired the collection, calling it salon-like and intimate.
“Lots of separates, lots of coats, jackets, of course glamour, because I’m known for that, but it’s like fluid, it’s light, it’s airy. The pajamas are so chic. It’s like, tunics mixed with pants. Really glamour at its most relaxed form,” Khan told The Associated Press at the show.
A parade of models strutting in impossibly high stiletto heels entered into the building’s courtyard, with the evening breeze helping to increase the dramatic effect of the loose, flowing designs. Most wore slicked back updo’s with intricate fishtail buns, accentuated by huge gold hoop earrings with bejewelled parrots and seahorses.
The first several looks were animal print pajama pantsuits, dresses and jumpsuits with matching thin billowing jackets. While some prints were in the fabric, many were embellished with sequins, creating glittering texture.
Vibrant colours were also part of the collection and seen in silk pajamas with giant flowers. One knockout look was a bright, fuchsia satin halter sheath that poured down to the floor, with a stream of fabric down the back. Several designs honoured Khan’s Indian heritage, including a pink Sari-inspired dress with a dramatic train of ombre’ effects of pink and orange chiffon, and a long green tunic dress with a decorative panel of beading.
There were glitzy wide-legged pants with matching tunics covered in monochromatic sequins of black, bright yellow and aquamarine. A metallic gold three-tiered backless dress shimmered, capturing the evening light as the sun set.
Khan has been in the fashion industry for 30 years and has dressed many A-list celebrities. He said glamour has changed and young people want to look beautiful but less “stuffy” so he is changing with the time.
Celebrities seated in the front row included Ryan Seacrest, reality star Kaitlynn Carter and Miss Universe Catriona Gray. Seacrest said he always tries to make time for Khan’s shows and he may have had extra incentive to attend.
“Amazing, stunning, glitz, glamour...I’m really in awe of what he did. And one of the models especially was incredible, my dear friend,” Seacrest said with a smile, referring to model Shayna Taylor, who walked in the show and whom he has dated in the past.
Gray said the Hadid building added to the mood.
“I loved the drama of this venue and paired with the music, it was operatic and there was a tribal feeling there also...there were sequins, there was chiffon, it was very feminine and romantic,” Gray said.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Malaika Arora and Arjun Kapoor recently visited Kareena Kapoor Khan to meet the new baby. Malaika looked absolutely stunning in her pinstripe midi dress and matching accessories.
- Bipasha Basu’s sizzling looks from Maldives, set vacation vibes soaring high be it in a tangerine or floral print georgette kaftan by Varun Bahl and we can’t wait to let these contemporary styles jazz up our summer wardrobe without burning a hole in our pockets
- For the shooting of a new advertisement, Mira Rajput wore a gorgeous tile print mini draped ruffled dress. We are fan of this summery look.
- The 78th annual Golden Globe Awards 2021 was held on February 28. While most of the celebrities attended the show from the comforts of their home, some made it to the red carpet and flaunted their gorgeous sartorial picks. Some, however, did not make it to the best dressed list.
- As the Globes split hosts, with Amy Poehler at the Beverly Hilton and Tina Fey at the Rainbow Room in New York. There was nary a pair of sweats in sight.
- After returning from the Maldives, Shilpa Shetty stepped out for lunch with her family at her restaurant and opted to wear a co-ord set that was comfy and chic at the same time.
- For a day outing, Rakul Preet opted to wear a beautiful lemon yellow mini dress with a crop denim jacket. The actor imparted summer vibes with her ensemble and we are inspired.
- Mouni Roy is the new millennial trendsetter and these pictures of her in cool and fast fashion of tie and dye loungewear are proof
- Malaika Arora recently took to Instagram to wish her fans a happy Sunday as the actor enjoyed a lazy day at home wearing a sports bra and sweat pants.