Return of the haute stuff
Chiffons, georgettes and silks may be more pricey and go well with ornamentation, but as anyone will tell you there's nothing like good old cotton and so the poor country cousin of clothing is even going majorly high-end.
Change of mindset
Oprah Winfrey, on one of her recent shows, went gaga about cotton defining it as synonymous for her with luxury. Fashion retailer and designer Gayatri Ruia states, "It's a natural fabric.
"Most of the cotton we grow in India is hand-woven and pure. It's believed to be cheap and economical.. but not really. It's truly stylish."
She adds, "Whether it's silk or cotton, fashion needs to marketed.. Cotton is the real McCoy of our industry. It's bound to become aspirational as our prêt market is expanding like that of Europe and America"
Always in vogue
Couture designers John Galliano, Boudicca and Chloé have used cotton for their summer lines.Closer to home, Abraham and Thakore and Rajesh Pratap Singh are identified with cotton designer wear.
Goa-based designer Wendell Rodricks says, "There's a problem about cotton only in India. It has taken nearly 100 years to give respect to a fabric that's 5000 years old.
My collection on the racks was made purely of cotton which I preferred over silk and embroidery.. No one considered it chic then.. people still don't. But for me it's the noblest fibre."
Rodricks' no-fuss, origami inspired geometric cuts compliment any fabric. "I use silks, georgettes, linens.. but land up using cotton most of all. It's the easiest fabric to cut and style," he asserts.
Although it's a small percentage but there are designers who are cotton-centric. Delhi-based newcomer Swati Bhimte has never touched any other fabric. "Cotton has been abused for long," she says.
"Some designer don't know how to treat it right. For colour good vegetable dyes are essential. At times, dyers just don't give the fabric any finishing. It's also possible to mix cotton with other yarns during the weaving process to make it soft and buttery."
The other misconception is that it's high maintenance. "It's a matter of convenience to treat it just as a wear-and-tear fabric. That needs to be changed. Why can't people treat cotton like silk?" ends Ruia.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- ‘Ready Shetty Go’: Shilpa Shetty Kundra dolls up in a handcrafted red and white Bandhani shirt and skirt on Women’s Day 2021 to shoot for another episode of Super Dancer Chapter 4 and fans can’t stop swooning over her outfit of the day
- Janhvi Kapoor and Kriti Sanon were spotted during their casual day outs in Mumbai. Both the actors opted to wear similar outfits which included a basic top teamed with a pair of distressed denims. That is not all, they even went for similar accessories and were seen wearing black footwear and carrying tote bags. We are a fan of this casual look as well. What about you?
- Shraddha Kapoor shared pictures of herself looking like a dream in a gorgeous golden and blue lehenga choli set at the wedding ceremony of her cousin Priyaank Sharma with Shaza Morani. However, the stunning outfit was made by a brand that has been co-founded by her masi Padmini Kohlapure.
- Singham star Kajal Aggarwal makes jaws drop in awe as she remains at the top of her fashion game in a wine discharge print organza saree while looking forward to a grand release of Mosagallu and one of her highly anticipated movies of Tollywood, Acharya
- Priyanka Chopra recently shared an image of herself wearing a beautiful turtle-neck sweater. The special thing about it was that the jumper was knitted by the actor's mom, Madhu Chopra while she was staying in London.
- Want to make the traffic stop and bae go weak in the knees on your next date night? Take fashion cues from Parineeti Chopra’s latest smoking hot look for Marathi Filmfare Awards 2021’s red carpet, in a backless sequinned midi dress, which has set the mercury soaring like never before
- Athleisure has made its way into our wardrobes and it is here to stay. Celebrities also love a good lounge wear set which they can wear at home and also run last minute errands in. However, Disha Patani and Kiara Advani are giving athleisure a summer twist with bright and bold colours and we love it.
- Mouni Roy recently shared images from a new photo shoot wearing a gorgeous bright red kurta, ijaar pants and bandhani dupatta. She looked like a dreamy dulhan in the images. All the brides-to-be take note.
- Model and celebrity chef Chrissy Teigen made her desi fans extremely happy as she danced to the Varun Dhawan and Parineeti Chopra starrer Bollywood song Jaaneman Aah from the film Dishoom.
- Nora Fatehi has a collection of dresses that ranges from minis to everything you can think of. The fashionista, who is often snapped in a beautiful attire, loves a good dress and we always end up taking inspiration from her sartorial picks.
- The high-end fashion house Dolce&Gabbana had filed a defamation suit against an Instagram account in the Italian court in 2019 and are seeking USD 600 million in damages.
- Kangana Ranaut looked radiant in a pink anarkali kurta with full, churidar sleeves, a white churidar and a self printed white dupatta. The Queen actor's look is perfect for the blazing heat of Mumbai.