Take precious care of your jewellery
Proper care of jewellery should be taken, not only from the thieves but from the other factors like dirt, grease etc, otherwise it will lack the lusture and shine. Here is how to do it by yourself.fashion and trends Updated: Jan 29, 2012 00:57 IST
Proper care of jewellery should be taken, not only from the thieves but from the other factors like dirt, grease etc, otherwise it will lack the lusture and shine. Here is how to do it by yourself.
1. Tackle grease and dirt: Add a little liquid soap to a bowl of warm water and immerse your jewellery for 3 to 4 minutes. After taking the ornaments out, rinse properly with water and dry, before putting them away in a plastic zip lock or a soft pouch. Since silver is prone to tarnish, make sure it is contained in air-tight conditions.
2. Stone selection: There are certain jewellery pieces with stones that are soft, and need to be handled in a delicate manner. Be careful not to soak lapis lazuli, coral, pearl and turquoise in water, since it can cause them to lose their shine . Also, before buying gemstones from a jeweller, always ask for the their basic maintenance requirements.
3. Chlorine control: Always remember to remove your jewellery before getting into the swimming pool or a hot tub. The chemical chlorine, which is added to keep the water free of bacteria, damages the metal. If the water is boiling hot, it can take away from the lustre of your gems. So make sure your stones are only exposed to water which is at room-temperature.
4. Avoid harsh cleansers: Avoid hair spray, perfume or nail polish remover from coming in contact with your jewellery. Also, make sure that you don’t use toothpaste or chlorine to clean your jewellery.
5. Save from sun damage: Direct sunlight can affect your gemstones adversely. Make sure that you avoid exposure to bright sunlight as it can make your gems look pale or even make them change colour.
First Published: Jan 28, 2012 18:51 IST