Celebs love for Lucknowi Kurtis during lockdown
Scrolling through sun-dappled images of Bollywood stars flurrying on social media, it’s hard to miss their newfound love for Lucknowi kurtas in myriad colours. While actor Gauahar Khan opted for a grey one with white embroidery, actors Rakulpreet Singh and Radhika Madan opted for yellow and a minimal white, respectively. Some have even experimented with a variety of colours and fabrics.
A prominent technique of traditional Indian weaves – Lucknow’s Chikankari, can be seen splashed on colourful hand woven cotton.Once upon a time, they were a summer favourite, made of cotton with lightweight embroidery that added a dash of glam. Though they lost galore with time, many Indian designers are now trying to revive the trend, which seem to have become a staple, especially during the lockdown.
Designers feel Lucknowi kurtas have always been famous and recently, the Chikankari not just done cotton but on organza and linens are becoming a season favourite. “With new fabrics and patterns being worked upon, this vintage craft is now preferred a lot by millennials. Ones in embroidered on organza are becoming the new summer special,” says designer Gautam Gupta.
The Lucknowi kurta is both formal and comfortable, making it fit for all occasions and is also gender less. “Lucknowi kurtas are such a classic. And they’re eternal. It’s best for summer as the key element of it is that they’re meant to be in fine transparent fabric, so that the embroidery on the inside is visible as well. They look best with classic denims. For men, pairing them with sandals or chunky sneakers makes it super adorable. Women can go for chunky or pencil heels for a more powerful look,” suggests stylist Isha Bhansali.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Priyanka Chopra recently showed how to slay a formal look with a Work From Home twist in a beautiful blue shirt worth ₹17k.
- For a recent shoot, Mira Rajput donned a beautiful yellow sundress that was adorned with intricate floral print. The fashionista looked absolutely breathtaking in the dress and we are bookmarking it.
- One of Priyanka Chopra's Work From Home looks garnered more attention than the rest. Her fans loved her dark copper coloured formal blouse which she accessorised with statement gold jewellery.
- For a recent photoshoot, Alaya F donned a gorgeous abstract print co-ord set and looked absolutely breathtaking in it. The actor added her own touch to the outfit by the way she styled it, we are taking notes.
- Silver kaliras and an off-white lehenga is what fashion designer Natasha Dalal opted to wear on her wedding day. The groom Varun Dhawan also twinned with his childhood sweetheart and wore a sherwani in the same colour. The couple of the hour looked like royalty on their special day.