With lipsticks, Hermes branches into competitive cosmetics world
France’s Hermes said on Wednesday it would start selling make-up from March, as the brand best known for its pricey Birkin handbags branches into a competitive beauty industry where its luxury rivals include Chanel.
Hermes, which already sells perfumes, will make its first foray into cosmetics with lipsticks, and will add other products over time.
The roll-out adds more accessible ranges to a company known for bags that can sell for over $10,000 (7,691 pounds), while cosmetics are often a highly profitable sideline for fashion firms.
High-end make-up and skincare products have outperformed lower end ranges at beauty firms like L’Oreal or Estee Lauder in recent years, thanks in part to buoyant Chinese demand for branded wares, anti-ageing treatments and other luxury creams.
But make-up sales are starting to slow globally and particularly in the United States, several firms in the sector have noted, while competition from upstart brands has risen, with celebrities like singer Lady Gaga also entering the fray.
Prices for Hermes’ lipsticks will start at 62 euros for one of the refillable lacquer tubes, developed in-house and made at a partner factory. Many fashion labels like Italy’s Armani or Kering-owned Gucci tend to contract out their entire cosmetics production under licence to the likes of L’Oreal or Coty.
Originally a saddle maker, Hermes - which ranks just behind Gucci, privately-owned Chanel and LVMH’s Louis Vuitton as one of the biggest luxury brands in the world by sales - makes most of its money from leather accessories.
The group, which reported a 10% rise in comparable annual sales to almost 6 billion euros in 2018, will publish 2019 earnings on Feb. 26.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text.)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Malaika Arora and Arjun Kapoor recently visited Kareena Kapoor Khan to meet the new baby. Malaika looked absolutely stunning in her pinstripe midi dress and matching accessories.
- Bipasha Basu’s sizzling looks from Maldives, set vacation vibes soaring high be it in a tangerine or floral print georgette kaftan by Varun Bahl and we can’t wait to let these contemporary styles jazz up our summer wardrobe without burning a hole in our pockets
- For the shooting of a new advertisement, Mira Rajput wore a gorgeous tile print mini draped ruffled dress. We are fan of this summery look.
- The 78th annual Golden Globe Awards 2021 was held on February 28. While most of the celebrities attended the show from the comforts of their home, some made it to the red carpet and flaunted their gorgeous sartorial picks. Some, however, did not make it to the best dressed list.
- As the Globes split hosts, with Amy Poehler at the Beverly Hilton and Tina Fey at the Rainbow Room in New York. There was nary a pair of sweats in sight.
- After returning from the Maldives, Shilpa Shetty stepped out for lunch with her family at her restaurant and opted to wear a co-ord set that was comfy and chic at the same time.
- For a day outing, Rakul Preet opted to wear a beautiful lemon yellow mini dress with a crop denim jacket. The actor imparted summer vibes with her ensemble and we are inspired.
- Mouni Roy is the new millennial trendsetter and these pictures of her in cool and fast fashion of tie and dye loungewear are proof
- Malaika Arora recently took to Instagram to wish her fans a happy Sunday as the actor enjoyed a lazy day at home wearing a sports bra and sweat pants.