10 beneficial acupressure points for weight loss and good health
Acupressure points: If you are struggling with lifestyle diseases, acupressure may offer you some relief. Here are 10 expert-recommended acupressure points that you need to know about.
Acupressure is based on the concept of life energy flowing through different meridians in the body. So, just by pressing certain points in the body, you can clear any blockage in the meridians and treat different diseases. “Studies have suggested that acupressure is effective in treating nausea and vomiting, lower back pain, tension headaches and stomach ache,” says Dr Manoj Kutteri, wellness director at Atmantan Wellness Centre. Some points can also help with weight loss.
According to acupressure, vital energy or “qi” flows through the body. When the flow is smooth, you enjoy good health but if it is blocked, acupressure can restore the body’s balance. Some of the problems that acupressure can effectively resolve are arthritis, fibromyalgia, sciatica, hypertension, digestive disorders, menstrual Irregularities, sexual disorders and insomnia.
Dr Kutteri says the objective of treatment varies based on the status of qi. “Weak qi requires toning, blocked qi need to be dispersed, and overactive qi has to be calmed,” says Dr Kutteri.
When you apply pressure to a point, maintain pressure on it for 2 to 3 minutes. Massaging the area won’t have the same effect. “Slowly increase and decrease the amount of pressure to allow time for the tissues to respond. On applying pressure, you may feel a gentle healing pain. If the pain is too severe, the treatment has to be stopped. As you keep applying pressure on the acupressure point, you will feel an easing of pain and discomfort from the area,” says Dr Kutteri.
Dr Kutteri shares some of the most effective acupressure points for good health and weight loss:
* The fat-burning point is 1.5inches below the navel.
* To relieve constipation, the point is 2 inches below the navel and 2 inches on either side of the midline.
* To relieve swelling and promote detoxification, the point is approximately 1 inch above the naval along the midline.
* To enhance your metabolism, the point is 4 inches above the navel along the midline.
* For relief from gastrointestinal discomfort and fatigue, the point is located four-finger space below the knee cap in the depression on the side of the outer calf bone.
* For relief from sinus and frontal headaches, the point is located in the webbing between the thumb and index finger (fleshy part) between the thumb and forefinger.
* If you suffer from food allergy, vomiting, dysentery, fever or tennis elbow, the point is located within your elbow. Flex your elbow and apply pressure in the depression at the outer end of the elbow fold.
* For people suffering from menopause symptoms or oedema, infertility and memory issues, the location is in the sole of your feet, in the depression that appears when the toes are curled. It is located between the second and third metatarsals. It can be massaged at bedtime in order to treat insomnia.
* For digestive and gynaecological issues, the point is located on the inside of the lower leg, one hand up from the ankle bone.
* To get relief from hypertension, insomnia, diabetes, PMS, and painful breasts, the point lies on the top of your foot, above the toes and between the first and second tendons in a depression.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more