Don’t wait: Delay in hip fracture surgery for more than 24 hrs ups risk of death
A study has recently warned that patients waiting for more than 24 hours to undergo a hip fracture surgery may be linked to an increased risk of death and complications.
Researchers from the University of Toronto analysed 42,230 adults, who had a hip fracture surgery between April 2009 and March 2014 at 72 hospitals in Ontario, Canada. They measured time in hours from arrival at the emergency department until surgery (exposure) and death within 30 days of hospital admittance.
The researchers observed exposures and outcomes for patients as they occur naturally in clinical care or real life.
The results indicated that the patients, who had surgery for hip fracture after 24 hours, had an increased risk of death compared to patients who had surgery within 24 hours (6.5 % vs 5.8 %).
The risk of complications, such as heart attack, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism, and pneumonia, were also higher for patients who had surgery after 24 hours, explained study author Daniel Pincus from. Sick patients, who may have died awaiting surgery, were not included in the study. The research appears in the Jama Network journal.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ishaan Khatter raises the bar of fitness motivation as we enter a new week and we are too inspired to follow his version of ‘when someone says let’s meet at the bar’. Here’s why
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.