Arsenal’s Pepe apologises for red card at Leeds
Arsenal winger Nicolas Pepe has apologised after being sent off for headbutting Leeds United defender Ezgjan Alioski in Sunday’s goalless draw in the Premier League.
Pepe was red carded in the 51st minute after VAR officials spotted the incident.
“I let my team down at a crucial time of the game and there are no excuses for my behaviour,” the 25-year-old Ivory Coast international wrote on Instagram.
“I am deeply sorry and would like to apologise to the fans, my team mates, my coach and everyone else at the club.”
Pepe and Alioski were subjected to racial abuse on social media after the game, and Arsenal and Leeds said they would work with authorities to trace those responsible.
Pepe will miss Arsenal’s next three Premier League matches but could feature in Thursday’s Europa League game at Molde.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ashley Barnes scored from the penalty spot in the 83rd minute after the forward was brought down by goalkeeper Alisson Becker as Burnley became the first team to win in the league at Anfield since April 2017.
- Before he starts work with a preparatory camp likely to be in Dubai from March, Stimac spoke about why he is happy with what he has seen in ISL this season and more in this exclusive interview.
- The Czech Football Association has disputed claims that Cristiano Ronaldo broke the all-time goal-scoring record, insisting he needs another 62 to surpass Josef Bican’s tally.
- Sergio Aguero had already been self-isolating after being identified as a close contact of someone infected.
- Dalot, 21, is at the heart of the defense of an AC Milan side which has been propelled to the top of the Italian league by the 39-year-old Ibrahimovic.
- The embarrassing 2-1 loss in the round of 32 added to Madrid’s recent struggles and left Zidane under increased pressure.