Cure for rheumatoid arthritis? Scientists say they are close to breakthrough
Today treatments such as anti-inflammatories, corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs have enabled doctors to stabilize the progress of rheumatoid arthritis, while ongoing research continues in a bid to achieve a long-term adjustment in patients’ immunity that will amount to a cure.
This latest American study focused on the genetic character of this debilitating disease. Along with the deregulation of patients’ immune systems, genetic risk factors can account for 50% of the probability of developing rheumatoid arthritis. In particular, researchers analyzed modifications in the expression of the MIF gene found in the most serious cases.
According to their findings, patients showing a wide variation of MIF genes produce higher quantities of MIF proteins implicated in the development of cancers. They further concluded that this process is also at work on the level of damaged joint cells. The discovery will pave the way for testing MIF pathway inhibitors on rheumatoid arthritis sufferers; such drugs are currently in clinical trials to evaluate their efficacy in the treatment of cancer, and other auto-immune pathologies.
Rheumatoid arthritis is the most prevalent form of inflammatory rheumatism. The illness can occur at any age, however, it is most frequent between the ages of 40 and 60, and often associated with the age of menopause for women. Early rheumatoid arthritis in patients under the age of 30 is four times as common among women. After age 60, prevalence is identical for both sexes. These findings have been published in the “Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences” (PNAS).
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vicky Kaushal recently shared a glimpse of himself sweating it hard in the gym in order to earn his weekend cheat meal. We can say that the clip is inspiring us to start our Sunday with a fitness session as well.
- Being high in fiber and sugar content, dates or khajur often leave people speculating about whether they should be consumed after soaking over night or raw or on empty stomach or before going to bed. Read on to know when is the best and worst time to eat dates
- Katrina Kaif recently hosted an Ask Me Anything session on Instagram and shared never seen before images and videos with her fans. She also posted about her healthy breakfast and intense fitness routine.
- Aditi Rao Hydari shows you how to do weight training without actually using weights in her latest fitness clip. Saying that this video is hilarious would be an understatement.
- A study done in the USA showed that wearing masks can actually curb the spread of the novel coronavirus. However, dining at restaurants, both in open area and inside, can increase the number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.
- As the new coronavirus variants spread and Covid-19 symptoms continue to increase and expand, here’s how you can locate the infection through these four kinds of skin changes