Work out your way to a super figure at home
Luxury tax heavy on your pocket? Follow these exercise routines at home.health and fitness Updated: Jun 09, 2012 01:28 IST
Luxury tax heavy on your pocket? Follow these exercise routines at home.
The Plank abs exercise is great for building endurance in the abs, back and the stabiliser muscles.
How to Perform Plank:
1. Lie face down on a mat resting on the forearms and palms.
2. Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
3. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
4. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdomen to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air or sagging in the middle.
5. Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps.
Knee push up
Knee push up is an easy exercise for training chest muscles.
Performing push up exercise:
1. Set up for the knee pushup in the same way you’d setup for a regular pushup: only your lower body will rest on your knees and not your feet.
2. Keep your body straight.
3. Lower your body towards the floor until your torso is about one inch away from the floor.
4. Pause, and raise your body back to the starting position.
It helps build cardio endurance, core strength and agility.
Performing Mountain Climber:
1. Begin in a pushup position on the hands and toes.
2. Bring the right knee in towards the chest, resting the foot on the floor.
3. Jump up and switch feet in the air, bringing the left foot in and the right foot back.
4. You can run the knees in and out rather than touching the toes to the floor. Alternate feet after a few seconds.
An abdominal strength training exercise, it strengthens the hip flexors and abdominal muscles.
Performing Sit ups:
1. Lie down on the ground and put your legs up at a 45 degree angle.
2. Put your hands behind your head for neck support.
3. Rise up until you are in a sitting position and then lower yourself back to the floor.
4. Repeat this step.
Horizontal jumping jacks
A great way to sculpt your arms and abs, using your own body weight.
Performing horizontal jumping jacks:
1. Begin in push up position with your arms shoulder width apart and your wrists directly below your shoulders.
2. Keeping your abs squeezed tight, hop your legs open and closed as quickly as you can while keeping your arms fully extended.
3. Repeat for the desired number of reps.
It tones your legs, builds core strength and increases back support.
1. Begin this exercise by standing with your feet apart, wider than shoulder width, and your toes pointed forward.
2.Slowly lower your body and bend slightly at your hips. Keep your weight back on your heels and your back as upright as possible.
3. Straighten legs and come up to the starting position to complete one rep.
You don’t really need a gym now!
Brisk walking in the park, skipping, jogging, and climbing stairs are some simple ways to stay fit. Playing basketball, football, tennis, and badminton, and swimming and dancing are also good forms of exercise.
The right diet:
No matter how much you hurt your bones exercising, unless you cut down junk and stick to a healthy diet, you can’t achieve a fab figure. Here’s a sample diet that you could follow along with your fitness routine:
Breakfast: Besan pancake or omelette with multigrain toast, one glass skimmed milk
Lunch: Dal, rice, veggies, and curd
Dinner: Fresh garden salad, paneer /chicken tikka, roti
Portions vary according to a person’s height and weight. You could seek an expert’s help in drawing out a dietary plan for you
Inputs from Prachi Agarwal, Fitho wellness services.
First Published: Jun 08, 2012 17:34 IST