Aquaman closes in on Rs 6200 cr worldwide, breaks Dark Knight Rises, Batman v Superman’s records
The superhero film Aquaman has broken two major milestones over the weekend. The film has become the biggest DC superhero movie in overseas markets, beating out Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight Rises, and the biggest film in the DC Extended Universe, overtaking Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Forbes reports that the film will make $887 million (Rs 6167 crore) worldwide by the end of the weekend, which puts it ahead of BvS’ $873 worldwide haul in 2016. This makes the James Wan-directed spectacle the biggest film in Warner Bros’ troubled DCEU, which only last year delivered the underwhelming Justice League. Aquaman has already crossed Justice League’s US total, and is on pace to end its domestic run with over $300 million.
The film’s $649 million overseas total beats The Dark Knight Rises for the biggest DC superhero film outside the US. Aquaman’s total gross also outdoes the worldwide hauls of Marvel’s Doctor Strange, Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok.
The film’s biggest market is China, where it has broken records to make more than $260 million (Rs 1800 crore). Starring Jason Momoa and Amber Heard, Aquaman has been praised for its visuals and Wan’s adventurous tone. It is seen as a departure from the darker aesthetic of the DCEU, which was seen as a key contributor to the series’ decreasing box office numbers.
The franchise has April’s Shazam! to look forward to, with a spin-off featuring the Joker planned for October and a Wonder Woman sequel due out in summer, 2020.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.