Aziz Ansari responds to sexual misconduct allegation, says he took her ‘words to heart’ | hollywood | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 18, 2018-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Aziz Ansari responds to sexual misconduct allegation, says he took her ‘words to heart’

In his defence, Aziz Ansari said that “he believed everything that happened between him and the woman, had been consensual”.

hollywood Updated: Jan 15, 2018 10:24 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, New Delhi
Aziz Ansari,Aziz Ansari Brooklyn photographer,Harvey Weinstein
Aziz Ansari recently won an award for best performance by an actor in a television series for his work in Master of None at the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards.(AP)

Actor-comedian Aziz Ansari issued a statement Sunday in response to a claim of sexual misconduct by a woman he dated briefly last year in September. He was responding to a Brooklyn photographer who revealed how Ansari coerced her into oral sex.

Addressing the woman’s accusation that she “felt violated”, Ansari on Sunday said he had taken “her words to heart”. The actor was quoted by The Wrap as saying, “he believed everything that happened between him and the woman, a Brooklyn photographer who spoke with Babe.net about her accusations, had been consensual”.

The said photographer had written a first-hand account, published on Babe.net, titled ‘I went on a date with Aziz Ansari. It turned into the worst night of my life’. She accused him of repeatedly pressurising her for oral sex and intercourse, and at several points ignoring her “clear non-verbal cues”.

This image, released by Netflix, shows Aziz Ansari in a scene from, Master of None. (AP)

The lady said she asked Ansari to ‘slow down’ but the actor responded, “Where do you want me to f*** you?”

She also shared the alleged text messages that she shared with Aziz the next day, after he asked her how the date was for her. “Last night might’ve been fun for you, but it wasn’t for me. You ignored clear non-verbal clues; you kept going with advances.” She carried on, “I want to make sure you’re aware so maybe the next girl doesn’t have to cry on the ride home.”

Ansari purportedly replied, “Clearly, I misread things in the moment and I’m truly sorry.”

In a statement released on Sunday, Ansari further said that he reached out to her privately “after taking the time to process what she had said”. He also said that he continues to support anti-sexual assault and harassment movements like #MeToo and Time’s Up, The Hollywood Reporter reported.

A copy of his statement, which The Hollywood Reporter says was released by his rep, reads:

In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner, and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual.

The next day, I got a text from her saying that although “it may have seemed okay,” upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said.

I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue.

Follow @htshowbiz for more

First Published: Jan 15, 2018 10:24 IST