Gwyneth Paltrow says she was fired from her first job at 12: ‘I went on spring break but I didn’t tell my boss’
Actor Gwyneth Paltrow, now the successful founder of a lifestyle company, was fired from her first job when she was just 12.
The 47-year-old, who is the daughter of actress Blythe Danner and late director-producer Bruce Paltrow, was working at a toy store on New York’s Madison Avenue back then, but she was dismissed after failing to turn up for work while on school holidays, reports dailymail.co.uk.
“I got fired because I went on spring break, but I didn’t tell my boss. I just didn’t show up for duty. I thought the world stops when you go on spring break,” said the Oscar-winning actress. “I was devastated, but it was a good lesson.”
When she was still at school, Gwyneth and her friends used to go to “upscale” nightclubs, where they all felt very “sophisticated”. She told the Town & Country magazine: “What we figured out was that the more upscale places would let you in, but if you were trying to get into the Irish bar on Second Avenue, they wouldn’t.
“We thought we were so sophisticated, talking about Dostoyevsky and cutting school to go to the Met. Margot Tenenbaum, but maybe with less eyeliner.”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Billie Eilish The World’s a Little Blurry movie review: Apple's brilliant documentary traces the meteoric rise of the music industry's most mercurial performer.
- The fans of Harry Potter star Emma Watson were shocked as a report hinted that the actor has given up her career in acting and is devoting her time to her boyfriend.
- The first teaser for director Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie film, Army of the Dead, has been released. Dave Bautista leads the cast, which also features Huma Qureshi, although she isn't seen in the teaser.
- Actor Gal Gadot has said that she was on the verge of giving up acting when she was cast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as Wonder Woman. Read her nostalgic post.
- Kim Kardashian took to her Instagram account and remembered her father Robert Kardashian on his birth anniversary. Sister Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian also shared photos.
- I Care a Lot movie review: Rosamund Pike is in proper Gone Girl mode in director J Blakeson's devilishly entertaining dark comedy, out on Netflix.