I was petrified of the monster: Johnny Depp’s ex Amber Heard says he had an abusive alter-ego
Johnny Depp’s ex-wife, Amber Heard, has alleged that the actor had an alter-ego that they called ‘the monster’ which used to emerge when he ‘beat’ her, according to new deposition documents obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. “I was petrified of the monster,” Heard said.
The claim is a part of 471-page deposition that reveals new details from the couple’s divorce proceedings, which started in 2016. The report says that the testimony will play a key role in an ongoing defamation suit filed by Depp against British tabloid The Sun, which in 2018 had published a story titled, How can JK Rowling be ‘genuinely happy’ casting wife-beater Johnny Depp in the new Fantastic Beasts film?
Controversy had erupted over Depp’s casting in the Harry Potter spin-off, which writer JK Rowling and director David Yates had defended. Depp played the titular role in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.
Heard alleges in the documents that during an altercation at their Los Angeles home, Depp threw a phone at her ‘as hard as he could’ and it hit her in the face. She also said that he broke glass, which was strewn on the floor. Pictures of Heard with visible injury marks on her face, and leaked text conversations about the alleged assault, were posted online.
According to THR, Depp’s legal team has ‘evidence’ that Heard ‘faked’ the injuries. Depp has even threatened to sue Heard for violating her NDA if she testifies in the case against the Sun. As part of their divorce settlement, the couple agreed not to make disparaging remarks against one another. Recently, Heard wrote an op-ed in the Washington Post titled, “I spoke up against sexual violence — and faced our culture’s wrath. That has to change.”
Depp’s lawyer responded by calling it an ‘abuse of the #metoo movement’ and claimed she ‘masquerades as victim rather than abuser.’
Heard recently appeared as Mera in the worldwide smash hit film Aquaman, opposite Jason Momoa. Depp, meanwhile, faces professional troubles after Disney hinted that it would be recasting his lead role in future Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Coming 2 America movie review: Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall reunite for the dull and boring sequel to their cult hit.
- Raya and the Last Dragon movie review: Kelly Marie Tran and Awkwafina put their own twist on the Mulan-Mushu dynamic in Disney's latest animated adventure.
- Chris Evans shared a video montage of his friend visiting the sets of Captain America: The First Avenger and reacting to his scenes.
- Kristen Stewart has been filming for her upcoming movie, Spencer. The Twilight star plays the role of Princess Diana in the movie.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Actor Gal Gadot and her husband Jaron Varsano are expecting their third child together. The Wonder Woman actor posted a cute family picture to make the announcement.
- Chadwick Boseman's wife Simone Ledward broke down while accepting his posthumous Golden Globe for Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Mark Ruffalo received the Best Actor in a Limited Series or TV Movie for I Know This Much Is True... at the Golden Globe Awards 2021. The actor, in his acceptance speech, spoke about "Mother Earth."
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 winners were announced on Sunday, February 28. From The Crown to Schitt's Creek and I Care A Lot, here’s who bagged the trophies.
- The Golden Globe Awards 2021 took place this weekend and Twitter couldn't help but point out the chaos that unfolded at the awards show.
- Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) were called out by several celebrities for their lack of diversity in their ranks. After stars chanted "Time's Up Globes", the HFPA issued a statement assuring a change in the making.