Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 22, 2018-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Netflix boots out Kevin Spacey from House of Cards, NYPD investigates Harvey Weinstein

Netflix has announced that it will not continue with House of Cards if Kevin Spacey is part of it as New York Police Department announces it is looking at possible arrest of Harvey Weinstein.

hollywood Updated: Nov 04, 2017 09:24 IST
Kevin Spacey,Harvey Weinstein,House of Cards
Accusations of sexual assault against movie producer Harvey Weinstein opened the floodgates to accusations against other entertainment figures including Kevin Spacey. Possible investigations have started against both.(AFP)

Netflix said Friday night that Kevin Spacey will no longer be a part of House of Cards and it’s cutting all other ties with the actor after a series of allegations of sexual harassment and assault. “Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey,” the company said in a statement.

Netflix said it will work with the show’s production company MRC to evaluate whether it will continue without him.

Spacey was nominated for best drama actor Emmy Awards during each of the show’s first five seasons, but never won. He played a ruthless politician who ascends to the presidency of the United States. Co-star Robin Wright is also a central player on the show, and it could conceivably continue with a focus on her.

Production on the show had already been suspended on Tuesday.

Netflix says it also will refuse to release the film Gore, in which Spacey stars as the writer Gore Vidal and also acted as producer. CNN reported that eight current or former House of Cards workers claim that Spacey made the production a “toxic” workplace and one ex-employee alleges Spacey sexually assaulted him.

Spacey has not been arrested or charged with any crime. His publicist did not immediately return an email message late Friday night seeking comment. A publicist said earlier this week that Spacey is “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”

The Academy Award-winning actor was named in Hollywood’s fast-growing sexual harassment crisis after actor Anthony Rapp alleged Spacey made sexual advances toward him in 1986, when Rapp was 14. Spacey has said he doesn’t remember the alleged encounter reported by BuzzFeed News last weekend but apologized if such “drunken behavior” occurred.

The story spurred several others to come forward with similar allegations about Spacey. London police are reportedly investigating Spacey for a 2008 sexual assault, British media reported Friday.

Police did not identify Spacey by name but said the department’s child abuse and sexual offenses unit is investigating the reported assault after it was referred to police earlier this week.

New York police gathers evidence for possible arrest warrant against Weinstein

Hollywood’s explosive sexual harassment scandal deepened Friday as New York police revealed they were gathering evidence for a possible arrest warrant against Harvey Weinstein in a credible double rape allegation.

Around 100 women have come forward since early October to accuse Weinstein, a twice-married father of five, of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to rape, sparking police investigations in London, Los Angeles and New York.

On Friday, a top Manhattan detective confirmed that officers were gathering evidence for a possible arrest warrant over Weinstein’s alleged double rape of “Boardwalk Empire” actress Paz de la Huerta at her New York apartment in late 2010.

“She put forth a credible and detailed narrative to us,” NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters. The former producer, now dumped by the company he co-founded and ostracized by Hollywood, denies any non-consensual relations.

“If this person was still in New York and it was recent, we would go right away and make the arrest, no doubt. But we’re talking about a seven-year-old case and we have to move forward in gathering evidence first,” said Boyce.

“We have an actual case here,” he added. “Mr Weinstein is out of state. We would need an arrest warrant to arrest him. So right now we’re gathering our evidence. We continue to do so. Every day.”

It is at least the third Weinstein case New York police have investigated in recent years, and Boyce did not rule out others.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office confirmed it had assigned a senior sex crimes prosecutor to the case.

First Published: Nov 04, 2017 09:22 IST