Wonder Woman 3 announced just days after WW84’s release, Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins to return
Days after the release of Wonder Woman 1984, Warner Bros. has announced that a third film based on the DC comic superhero is in the works with franchise star Gal Gadot and writer-director Patty Jenkins set to return. According to the studio, the third Wonder Woman movie will conclude the long-planned trilogy and will release theatrically.
“As fans around the world continue to embrace Diana Prince, driving the strong opening weekend performance of Wonder Woman 1984, we are excited to be able to continue her story with our real life Wonder Women — Gal and Patty — who will return to conclude the long-planned theatrical trilogy,” Warner Bros. chief Toby Emmerich said in a statemet to Variety.
The first Wonder Woman film, part of the DC Extended Universe, was released in 2017 to widespread critical acclaim and minted over $800 million at the worldwide box office. The opening date of for Wonder Woman 1984 was pushed back several times due to the coronavirus pandemic before Warner Bros. decided to release it on its streaming platform HBO Max and theaters on Christmas.
The sequel features Kristen Wiig as the villainous Cheetah, Pedro Pascal as the over-the-top businessman Max Lord and Chris Pine as Diana’s love interest, Steve Trevor.
The studio has not yet revealed any details about the plot of the final chapter Last week in an interview with PTI, Jenkins had said that it was “questionable” whether a third Wonder Woman film will be made following Warner Bros’ decision to opt for a theatrical-and-digital model to release its films. The director had said that she would love to come back for a third instalment only when Warner Bros “goes back to being a full theatrical studio”.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Armie Hammer was contacted by the Cayman Islands police after they received a complaint about a video he posted on a private Instagram account. The video showed a woman posing on all-fours in a hotel room.
- The White Tiger movie review: Adarsh Gourav delivers a star-making performance in Ramin Bahrani's angry answer to Slumdog Millionaire, co-starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Rajkummar Rao.
- Actor Tom Holland spoke about the arduous audition process for Spider-Man in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the time he thought he'd be fired from the role.
- A life-size cutout of Ana de Armas was trashed outside Ben Affleck's house, amid reports of their breakup.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Celebrity couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel have welcomed their second child, a year after he publicly apologised for inappropriate behaviour amid cheating rumours.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared Jungle Mantra, an original song from the White Tiger soundtrack, by Divine, featuring Vince Staples and Pusha T. Listen here.
- Actor Ray Fisher has released a lengthy statement confirming his removal from the upcoming Flash movie, amid his standoff with Warner Bros.
- Actor Armie Hammer announced that he is quitting his upcoming film, amid a scandal around messages that he allegedly sent a woman.
- Patralekhaa spotted Rajkummar Rao on a hoarding of The White Tiger in New York and shared a picture on Instagram stories. She reminisced about his incredible journey, from Gurugram to New York.