1,300 to get Covid-19 vaccination on the first day
Cardiothoracic surgeon Jose Chacko Periappuram, a Padma awardee, received the first Covid-19 vaccine shot as the vaccination drive was rolled out in Kerala on Saturday.
“I am really proud of our scientists and health workers. It is just like any other injection. There is no need for any apprehension. Really happy that health workers were given first chance,” said Periappuram, who performed the first heart transplant in the state.
In Thrissur, where the country’s first Covid-19 case was detected in January 2020, district medical officer K K Reena received the first vaccination dose.
At least 133 vaccine centres have been set up in the state and 100 people each will be vaccinated there. On the first day, 1,300 people were expected to receive the vaccination.
Kerala has received 43,50,00 vials of the vaccine for the first phase of the vaccination.
State health minister K K Shailaja allayed apprehensions about the vaccine. “It is like any other vaccine… Beneficiaries should report side-effects if any. There is no need for any apprehension in this regard,” she said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Those entering India can be granted refugee status, but they will be deported if the government decides against it
- The 50-odd pages document, anchored by the national security adviser’s office, is now awaiting the approval from the Prime Minister’s office before it is released.
- Delhi, which gave shots to 1,679 people per million population in the second phase till Wednesday night, was in the second spot, while Odisha (1,283 doses per million) was third
- The scenes that caused offence have since been deleted, and the makers as well as the OTT company have apologised.
- The medical fitness team of the Army tested close to 615 women SSC officers entitled for permanent commission, following the apex court judgment, on five counts: psychiatry, height, appendage (bone structure), physical and eye and ear.
- The EOL report has calculated its overall scores on the basis of four parameters: quality of life, economic ability, sustainability and citizen perception.
- Bengaluru, India’s technology capital, is an economic powerhouse on account of the presence of some of the world’s largest corporations.
- K Surendran, the state BJP president who made the original announcement claimed he was quoted out of context.
- The biosphere reserve spread over an area of 5569 sq km contributes 38% of the total protected area network in Odisha. It is also one of the oldest tiger reserves in the country having the largest zone of Sal trees.
- For the first time, junior commissioned officers (JCOs) and jawans are taking part in the top conference, as reported by Hindustan Times on Wednesday.
- According to the IMD's forecast, Friday and Saturday may see higher daytime temperatures that could rise to 39 degrees Celsius.