Contractors who have not done 40% work to get notices
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) decision was made acting on a May 7 status report of desilting works on all nullahs in the city.Updated: May 13, 2019 04:56 IST
Hindustan Times, Mumbai
With the deadline for completing desilting of nullahs fast approaching and the uproar in the standing committee over misleading claims, the civic body has decided to send show-cause notices to four or five contractors who have not been able to finish 40% of the work so far.
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) decision was made acting on a May 7 status report of desilting works on all nullahs in the city.
Vijay Singhal, the additional municipal commissioner, who heads the stormwater drains (SWD) department, said, “This is a way to pull up these contractors up and make sure they speed up the work. It’s like a warning to the contractors. However, I am confident that they will be able to complete the decided amount of desilting work before the monsoon.”
The BMC wraps up all pre-monsoon works in the city by May 31 every year. Before the monsoon, it aims to complete 70% of the desilting work, and undertakes the remaining 30% later. “Overall, on an average, 60% of the desilting work has been completed, which is what we had decided for this time of the month. This is good. Some contractors are not up to the mark, but this is according to a five-day old report.” Singhal also said this year’s performance so far matches that of the same time, every year.
First Published: May 13, 2019 04:56 IST