Incoming call service back in parts of Kashmir
Mobile incoming call facilities were restored in some parts of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Thursday, a day after governor Satya Pal Malik had announced opening of mobiles in the particular district.
Officials said that the people in Kupwara could receive calls on their mobiles while they were still not able to make any calls.
“Incoming call facilities on mobiles have been started in some areas of Kupwara,” said a senior police officer.
Mobile calling, broadband and other internet services continue to remain blocked in all other parts of Kashmir since the night of August 4 ahead of the parliament’s scrapping of Article 370.
While landlines have been restored since then in many parts of the Valley, these have not been working in city’s business hub of Lal Chowk including the Press Enclave and in Old City.
Malik on Wednesday defended communication blockade in J&K saying it helped prevent loss of life and assured restoring mobiles as situation shows improvement. He had said that 46 out of 95 telephone exchanges have been opened up which cover major areas.
“Mobile phones are working in six districts of Jammu. Today, we will be opening mobile phones in all 10 districts of Jammu and two districts of Ladakh. We are opening all mobile phones in Handwara and Kupwara district in coming few days,’’ he had said. Handwara(a police district) falls in the administrative jurisdiction of Kupwara district.
J&K was put under a lockdown on August 5 as central government revoked state’s special status. Restrictions were imposed across the state while mobiles, landlines and internet services were also blocked. Separatists and mainstream leaders including three former CMs have either been detained or put under house detention. The officials said that there are relaxations in areas falling under 81 police stations out of 111 in Kashmir and there is no day time restriction in 166 police stations out of 197 of the state.
The shutdown continued across Kashmir. Shops and businesses also remain closed while there is heavy deployment of security forces. While the administration announced opening of 3,000 primary schools, 1,000 middle schools and an unknown number of high schools, the parents have not sent their children.