Marginal increase in number of Covid-19 cases takes India’s tally to 8,553,657
India’s coronavirus disease (Covid-19) tally reached 8,553,657 on Monday after 45,903 new cases were recorded, according to Union health ministry.
The country recorded 490 new fatalities, which took the death toll to 1,26,611.
Monday’s caseload ( a count of the number of Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours) is marginally up from yesterday’s 45,674 infections.
The case fatality rate stands at 1.48 per cent.The number of active cases of Covid-19 remained below 6 lakh for the 11th consecutive day on Monday.
The number of active cases dropped to 5,09,673 which comprises about six per cent of the total caseload, according to health ministry data.
India’s Covid-19 tally had crossed the 20-lakh mark on August 7, 30 lakh on August 23 and 40 lakh on September 5. It went past 50 lakh on September 16, 60 lakh on September 28, 70 lakh on October 11 and crossed 80 lakh on October 29.
According to Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), a cumulative total of 11,77,36,791 samples have been tested up to November 7 with 11,94,487 samples being tested on Saturday.
Meanwhile, India’s cumulative Covid-19 positivity rate - the number of samples that tests positive out of the total number of samples tested for a disease - is steadily declining, according to the government.
The government data shows that in past three weeks, the positivity rate has come down to 7.23% on November 8 from 7.94% on October 19.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sixty-three-year-old Sasikala who also suffers from hypertension, diabetes and hypothyroidism was admitted to hospital with cough and fever.
- The Legislative Council chairman has asked the principal secretary to submit a report on the issue within seven days after a Congress member objected to the installation of Savarkar’s portrait in the Council picture gallery.
- A magisterial inquiry has been ordered in the matter, said the collector. Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also expressed his condolence after hearing about the accident.
- Police have not registered any case in this regard and said that they will record the women's statement on Thursday before launching an investigation.
- The Biden administration has signalled that it sees China as the main challenge and that it will work to enhance the partnership with India, including working together to ensure an open and secure Indo-Pacific.
- The police filed the charge sheet in the case on December 16, 2020 and charges were framed on December 24, 2020
- The BJP chief had a word of appreciation for the party workers in West Bengal, Jammu and Kashmir and Kerala where he said they have to work “under very adverse circumstances”.
- The petition styled as a public interest litigation (PIL) was filed by a Secunderabad resident Dumpala Ramreddy who was upset over his daughter being kept in an ashram run by a self-styled godman based in Delhi.
- The group of men who demolished the toilet complex are said to be right-wing activists who were upset that it was built near a temple.
- The Uttarakhand forest department had declared leopard a man-eater on January 9.
- At a rally in Hooghly district, Suvendu Adhikari alleged that the TMC did not allow district administration to count the votes in 16 electronic voting machines (EVM) in the Arambagh Lok Sabha constituency in 2019.