Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 02, 2018-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Mother bitten by snake in sleep, three-year-old dies after drinking poisoned breast milk

The 35-year-old woman from Uttar Pradesh did not realise she had been bitten when she woke up and breastfed her daughter. The girl and the mother fell ill, and both died before they could reach a hospital.

india Updated: May 26, 2018 16:19 IST
Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse, New Delhi
Snake bite,Breast milk,Uttar Pradesh snake
India accounts for 46,000 of the 100,000 snakebite deaths around the world each year, according to a 2011 study by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene. (File photo)

A woman who was bitten by a snake in her sleep and unknowingly breastfed poisoned milk to her daughter has died along with the child, police said on Friday.

The 35-year-old woman from Uttar Pradesh did not realise she had been bitten when she woke and breastfed her daughter.

The three-year-old girl and the mother fell ill on Thursday and both died before they could reach hospital, police inspector Vijay Singh told AFP.

The family spotted the snake in another room but the creature escaped.

A post-mortem is to be carried out but police have registered a case of accidental death, the officer added.

India is home to some 300 snake species and 60 are highly venomous, including the Indian cobra, krait, Russell’s viper and saw-scaled viper.

India accounts for 46,000 of the 100,000 snakebite deaths around the world each year, according to a 2011 study by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.

First Published: May 26, 2018 10:21 IST