News updates from Hindustan Times: PM Modi hails demonetisation on anniversary, Congress observes betrayal day and all the latest news
Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
PM Modi hails demonetisation on anniversary, Congress observes betrayal day
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday hailed his government’s demonetisation move four years ago, claiming that it gave a boost to transparency. In a tweet on Sunday, Modi said that the move helped reduce black money, increase tax compliance and formalisation and gave a boost to transparency and that the outcomes have been beneficial for the country’s progress. Read more
PM Narendra Modi to initiate projects worth Rs 614cr in Varanasi
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate and lay the foundation of 30 projects worth Rs 614 crore in Varanasi via video conference on Monday, a Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader said on Sunday. Read more
Kamala Harris’ ancestral village celebrates her win with crackers, rangoli
A village in southern India also erupted with joy as Kamala Harris became the first woman vice president-elect of the United States. Harris traces a part of her ancestral roots to India. Read more
‘Babar has done better’: Mohammad Yousuf weighs in on the Virat Kohli-Babar Azam debate
When it comes to the finest batsmen in the world, the names Virat Kohli and Babar Azam are right up there. There was a time when Kohli, the India captain, used to be compared with Australia’s Steve Smith, but lately, his comparison has shifted away from the former Australia captain and moved more towards Babar, Pakistan’s limited-overs captain. Read more
Supernovas’ Chamari Atapattu reveals eating these Indian dishes and defeating Trailblazers in Women’s T20 Challenge
The last-ball thriller by Supernovas in the nailbiting match with the Trailblazers at the Women’s T20 Challenge in Sharjah, UAE, garnered massive praises for Sri Lankan women cricket team captain Chamari Athapaththu. The left-handed opener Atapattu smashed five fours and four sixes to notch up 67 runs off 48 balls aggressively. Read more
Bengaluru cinemas-theatres face revenue loss, forced to close due to lack of footfall amid Covid-19
The Covid-19 pandemic has left a substantial impact on the film industry in 2020, film theatres in Bengaluru have been forced to close down due to a lack of revenues. Read more
Charlie Hunnam says he had Covid-19 earlier this year: ‘I just lost my sense of taste and smell’
Actor Charlie Hunnam says he had contracted coronavirus “earlier this year”. The 40-year-old actor said he had the virus at a time when loss of taste hadn’t “really come to light as a symptom of mild Covid”. Read more
Jennifer Lawrence dances in pyjamas, Spike Lee pops champagne with New Yorkers to celebrate Biden-Harris win
Hollywood celebrities such as Jennifer Lawrence, Chrissy Teigen, John Legend, Spike Lee and multiple others took to the streets to celebrate Joe Biden and Kamala Harris’ US elections win on Saturday. While some danced in the streets, others joined the crowd to cheer for their favourite candidate. Read more
‘Biden govt will be weak...’: Decoding new US administration’s India view
After 4 days of suspense, Democratic party leader Joe Biden was announced the winner of the 2020 US Presidential election. While there is excitement in many quarters in India regarding Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, who is of Indian origin, there are some concerns too. Watch here
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah directed that additional central paramilitary forces be deployed in Delhi with immediate effect and individuals and groups behind the Red Fort seize be brought to justice.
- While more than 100,000 people attended the parade during the previous years, with Covid-19 norms in place on Tuesday, the crowd was limited to 25,000.
- The Opposition, including the Congress, alleges that the government rushed the farm laws without proper discussion in Parliament. The Centre, however, says the reforms will lead to new opportunities in agriculture trade.
- The parliament canteen, now run by ITDC will offer as many as 58 items, both vegetarian and non-vegetarian, from January 27.
- Union minister for culture and tourism Prahlad Patel said government is addressing the lack of adventure sports equipment in Kargil.
- In contrast to the violence seen in the Capital, farmers held peaceful rallies across the country to protest against the farm laws.
- India put on display its war machines at a time when the country is locked in a tense border stand-off with China.
- The chaos and violence have raised questions about the future of the two-month-long agitation of farm unions.
- Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, in a letter sent to her Indian counterpart, conveyed her greetings.
- Tuesday's decision to operate all trains comes a day after a meeting to resume local train services for all passengers was chaired by Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray.
- Khattar said that unsavoury events on Tuesday deserved to be condemned in the strongest words.
- Governor RN Ravi said 'politics by gun' has stonewalled efforts to resolve the Naga political issue.