Budget session LIVE: Rajya Sabha adjourned till Monday
Friday marks day 10 of the second half of Parliament’s Budget session. Among the important bills passed on Thursday were the Insurance (Amendment Bill) 2021, J-K Appropriation Bill 2021, and Puducherry (Appropriation) Vote on Account Bill 2021. While the former was passed in the Rajya Sabha, the latter two witnessed passage in the Lok Sabha.
The session began on January 29 with President Ram Nath Kovind addressing a joint sitting of members of the two Houses. Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman presented Union Budget on February 1, as the first half of the Budget session, which concluded on February 13, was dominated by protests by the Opposition is solidarity with the ongoing farmers’ agitation against the three contentious central farm laws on the borders of Delhi since November last year.
However, in the second half, which began on March 8, coinciding with International Women’s Day, have not seen much protests as several MPs are busy campaigning for the upcoming assembly elections in four states-Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal-and the Union territory of Puducherry.
The second and final half of the Budget session will end on April 8.
Follow all the updates here:
MAR 19, 2021 08:10 PM IST
Lok Sabha passes The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2021
Lok Sabha today passed The Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
MAR 19, 2021 05:49 PM IST
Rajya Sabha adjourned till Monday
Rajya Sabha adjourned till Monday--March 22.
MAR 19, 2021 04:04 PM IST
Congress MP suggests formation of panel to discuss mines amendment bill
A Congress MP in the Lok Sabha on Friday suggested that the government form a joint committee for reconsideration and discussion on the Mines and Minerals Development (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
MAR 19, 2021 03:50 PM IST
Mines and Mineral Amendment Bill passed in Lok Sabha
The Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill, 2021 passed in Lok Sabha.
MAR 19, 2021 02:26 PM IST
Opposition boycotted President's address on January 29
In a show of strength, opposition parties boycotted President Ram Nath Kovind's address on the opening day of the session. This, they said, was to show solidarity with farmers protesting in Delhi against the three contentious central farm laws.
MAR 19, 2021 01:49 PM IST
BJP MP demands 'President's Rule' in Maharashtra
Maharashtra govt is not working properly, everything is done at the will of officers, a person like Mukesh Ambani is unsafe in Mumbai. Due to poor law and order situation & corruption, I've written to HM Amit Shah for CM's resignation and President's Rule in state: BJP MP Narayan Rane
MAR 19, 2021 01:30 PM IST
Second half of Budget session to end on April 8.
The Budget session will come to an end on April 8, as the second and final half, which began on March 8, will conclude on that day. The first half of the session took place from January 29-February 13, while the Budget was presented on Feb. 1.
MAR 19, 2021 12:04 PM IST
No one should have doubts on Covid-19 vaccines, says health minister
No one should have any doubts about the Covid-19 vaccines. I urge all to take the vaccine shots: Union health minister Dr Harsh Vardhan in Lok Sabha.
MAR 19, 2021 11:05 AM IST
Insurance Amendment Bill 2021 has flaws, says Cong's Kharge
"Insurance Amendment Bill 2021 has flaws, it should be sent to Standing Committee. They've introduced a provision of ownership & control to foreigners. If FDI comes, there'll be West India Co. brought in by Modi Ji to help people from Gujarat," says Congress' Mallikarjun Kharge, leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha.
MAR 19, 2021 11:03 AM IST
TMC gives notice in Lok Sabha on 'uniform Covid-19 vaccination'
TMC's Sougata Roy gives Adjournment Motion Notice in Lok Sabha over the 'need for uniform Covid-19 vaccination due to rise in cases in the country.'
MAR 19, 2021 10:26 AM IST
Proceedings to commence at 11am
Proceedings in both Houses of Parliament will begin at 11am on Friday. On A number of key bills are likely to be brought up for discussion in both the Houses.
MAR 19, 2021 09:26 AM IST
Cong MP gives notice in RS over 'LPG price rise'
Congress MP Akhilesh Prasad Singh gives Zero Hour Notice in Rajya Sabha on 'concern over poor families returning to traditional fuels due to LPG price rise'
MAR 19, 2021 09:15 AM IST
BJP MP gives notice on 'increasing phone tapping'
BJP MP Bhupender Yadav has given Zero Hour Notice in Rajya Sabha on 'concern over increasing phone tapping by state governments'
Get our daily newsletter
- Meanwhile, the state has announced floating a global tender for procuring two crore Covid-19 vaccines owing to supply shortage.
- "WB Governor Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar will be visiting Ranpagli camp in Assam sheltering post-poll violence affected WB people," Dhankhar's office tweeted.
- With 12 more fatalities, the death toll in the state now stands at 177. A total of 12,968 patients have recovered and presently, there are 3,551 active cases in the state.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in US has eased mask-wearing guidance for fully vaccinated people, allowing them to stop wearing masks outdoors in crowds and in most indoor settings.
- Authorities have sounded red alert in three districts of Kerala on May 14 and five districts on May 15, indicating the possibility of extremely heavy rains under the influence of a low pressure area over the Arabian Sea.
- The teachers’ body has written a similar letter to the UCMS administration.
- “You have been playing that one irritating message on the phone whenever one makes a call, for we do not know how long, that you (people) should get vaccinated, when you (Centre) don’t have enough vaccines.
- Amicus curiae and senior advocate Rajshekhar Rao told the court that the explanation tendered by Hussain that he got cylinders refilled from a dealer in Faridabad “appears to be credible”.
- Starting immediately, the bench ordered that dry ration should be given to migrant workers in the NCR under Atmanirbhar Bharat scheme, or any other scheme be provided by the Centre or states utilising the public distribution system.
- In its review petition, the Centre has contended that the judgment required a relook because there were errors apparent on the face of the record.
- The doubling of the gap between doses from 6-8 weeks to 12-16 applies only to the Covishield dose, with the suggested interval for Covaxin remaining at 4-6 weeks.